Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

Headlines:

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Primary Care Answers List

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: IM SCARED ABOUT MY LIP PIERCING

HARTunderATTACKxx - Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:56 am

About 2 weeks ago to this day I pierced my own lip. At first it didn't go all the way through and I just developed a bump on the inside of the left side of my mouth. I was told that since I did it with a safety pin that there would be a scar left so I just decided to push it all the way through. Then without expecting it, I felt something rubbing hard against my gums and I found out that on its own the back of the earring had gone all the way through. I put a back on it and really liked it. About two days ago, the whole closed up and I started trying to reopen it. Now it is all the way through again, but I have a millimeter size circle surronding the hole where the piercing went in and its red and blue. On the inside of my mouth is a circle where skin has been removed and the exiting hole in the middle. Just like on the outside. I take the earring out at night because it hurts too much to keep it in and every morning I put it back in. It hurts from the my bottom teeth right to the hole for a moment and then goes away until I ethier hit it or play with it. Im scared to know if its infected because my parents don't know. I really like it, but I'm willing to take it out if it's going to cause health problems. I am also bulimic and that is probably affecting it too. I just need to know which would be a safer thing to do. I'm keeping it clean by disinfecting it 3 times a day using disinfectant and also washing my mouth out with saltwater. Anything would help me out a lot?? :lol:
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:56 am

Hi HARTunderATTACKxx,
Piercings done without a sterile procedure are even more susceptible to infection. The appearance of blue may be a result of bruising and the redness may be either irritation or infection. I am quite sure that even though you are attempting to "hide" this from your parents they probably already at least suspect that you have done this just by the appearance on your lip. I would suggest that you remove the piercing and if you like it as much as you say you do, talk it over with your parents and if they are agreeable have it done by a professional. Keep in mind that if they adamantly refuse you doing so they are only trying to do what is best for you. Now, my concern for you is that you stated that you are bulimic. Eating disorders (Bulimia) are very dangerous. Do you realize the consequences of having this disorder? Medical conditions that may result from this condition include erosion of tooth enamel, electrolyte imbalances, (which if are severe enough may cause death), irregular heart rhythms, (severe cases may result in Heart attack and possible death), rupture of the esophagus or stomach, etc. etc. I would strongly suggest that you seek treatment for this disorder.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

send to a friend

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.