doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Daddy very sick...HELP!

Zookclan - Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am

:cry: my daddy has been having sever nausia and Vomiting, he is dizzy all the time its gotten so bad he can't lay down with out Vomiting. I think he is Vomiting blood, he can't eat...nothing stays down. not even water. the doctor are treating him for acid reflux for the most part. liquid anti nausia stuff, supositories for the nausia, high blood presure meds, stuff for acid...I'm not sure what. this has been going on so long he is litteraly starving to death he can't keep anything down... please help!!! no one knows whats wrong... I thought maybe someone out there could help.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:10 am

Dear Zookclan,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Causes of Vomiting are various, please, refer to the following link for a list of the causes of Vomiting

Click here!

In your dad's case, if this Vomiting is positional, like you mentioned, happens when your dad is trying to lay down, how about other positions of the head? Because if this is the case, the cause of the Vomiting might be either a problem with your dad's eyes, as a result of a small Stroke or paralysis in one of the nerves supplying the eye muscles. In this case, he needs a ct scan of the head and/or orbits to make sure there is nothing there. It might also be related to your dad having an inner ear problem. In this case, there are certain medications that are given and your dad needs to see an ear, nose and throat specialist. Third possibility is that your dad might have had a Stroke, but usually, with Vomiting, the area of the brain that Strokes out is so critical that your dad should have lost consciousness and developped other symptoms of Stroke like paralysis and so forth.

The reason might be local in your dad's gut, there might be a problem, you have not mentioned whether your dad has Diabetes or not, ever had a stomach ulcer, whether he had any abdominal sugeries before, whether this Vomiting is associated with Diarrhea or Fever, as the symptoms accompanying Vomiting in most of the times give clues about the causes of the Vomiting.

If this has been going on for quite sometime like you said and it is affecting your dad's health, I think your dad has to be admitted to the hospital, not eat anything for a while, given intravenous fluids and has some investigations done in the form of a ct scan of the abdomen, an upper Endoscopy of the gastrointestinal tract to if there is any reason in your dad's stomach to have this ongoing Vomiting.

Regarding your dad Vomiting blood, it could be that your dad was retching so violently when he was Vomiting that something tore up and that is why he needs to be admitted to the hospital asap and be seen by a gastrointestinal specialist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.