doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: sleep apnea

Lynn66 - Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:47 am

I am 23 years old and male. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have never had surgery, and am not on any medications. I don't think my doctor has completely diagnosed my problem. I do have trouble sleeping straight through the night, and have trouble staying awake during the day. In addition to that in the mornings, I find I have had a urinary accident through the early morning, even after being woke up and going to the bathroom through the night. I am overweight about 70 pounds. Is this part of the side affects of sleep apnea? Or is the urinary problem seperate? Thank you for your time.
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:21 am

Hi Lynn66,
Some of the signs and symptoms of sleep apnea are choking, gasping or loud snoring during sleep, Inability to concentrate, falling asleep during the day, for instance while driving, Headaches, fatigue, behavior changes, frequent urination at night. There are treatments for sleep apnea, for exmple, a Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) a machine that delivers air pressure through a mask placed over your nose. The air pressure is greater than the surrounding air therefore it keeps the upper airway passages open. A Bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPap) supplies a steady constant pressure to the upper airway as you inhale and exhale and builds to a higher pressure during inhale and lower during exhale with the intent of boosting a weak breathing pattern. These are only a couple of examples of how sleep apnea is treated and I would advise you to discuss with your physician the advantages of treatment.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.