doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Diet pills (phentermine, bontril)

sonshines33 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 pm

I am a 36 yr. old female who's currently taking Zoloft and have been taking it for about 7 yrs. I would really like to lose some weight and have found that phentermine worked very well for me in the past but I believe I have become immune to it because it no longer works for me. My question is, if I take another prescribed diet pill such as bontril, will I be immune to it as well, or since it is a different pill will it work for me? I don't want to invest the money in it if it's not going to do it's job. It had been almost 9months between the last time I took the phentermine and I can't believe within that amount of time that I would become immune to it. I guess I took it for to long a period of time. Anyway, should I go with the bontril, if not can you suggest another diet pill? Thanks for your time.
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi sonshines33,
The medications that you are inquiring about would be inadvisable to be used in conjunction. Please consult your physician regarding this matter and also inquire about a nutrition and exercise plan. The following information is provided by the drug interaction checker on Click here!

"Drug-Drug Interactions
phendimetrazine and Sertraline (major Drug-Drug)
Description:
GENERALLY AVOID:
Several case reports suggest that patients treated with Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) may exhibit an increased sensitivity to sympathomimetic agents. The mechanism of interaction is unclear. The reaction has been reported when Fluoxetine was used concomitantly with phentermine, amphetamine, or phenylpropanolamine. Additionally, some sympathomimetic agents (e. g., amphetamines) may possess serotonergic activity and should generally not be administered with SRIs because of the additive risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors. The interaction occurred in a patient treated with dexamphetamine approximately 2 weeks after the addition of Venlafaxine. The medications were discontinued and the patient was given cyproheptadine for suspected serotonin syndrome, whereupon symptoms promptly resolved. A second episode occurred when dexamphetamine was subsequently resumed and citalopram added. The patient improved following cessation of citalopram on his own, and residual symptoms were successfully treated with cyproheptadine.
MANAGEMENT:
In general, amphetamines should not be combined with Serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Close monitoring for enhanced sympathomimetic effects is recommended if these agents must be used together. Patients should also be monitored for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, Hypertension, and Tachycardia".

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.