doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: clogged right ear for a year

amandabell88 - Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 am

Hi, since last year I have been having problems with my right ear. Although some days/weeks its worse than others, it usually feels plugged, like it needs to be poped, but as much as I try it never will. Ive been to so many doctors and they all say they see nothing wrong. Also, when I go into higher altitutes it usually gets worse, and also, the other night I went to a concert and by the time I left it felt so clogged that I felt like I could barely hear out of it. there has to be something wrong! I really don't know how much longer I can deal with this. there is deffinatly something wrong. Sometimes I also think it has leaked when I sleep on my right ear some times. Today I got very concerned though because I got very dizzy. What could this be?! Thank you so much.
So_Danca - Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 pm

Have you seen an ear, nose and throat doctor (ENT)? I would definitely suggest visiting an ENT to check out your ear. Blocked ears can have numerous causes, such as impacted ear wax, a disorder of the eustachean tubes (the canals that connect the ear and throat), or infections/disorders of the middle or inner ears. It's especially interesting that you mentioned getting dizzy, as this would seem to indicate some kind of vestibular issue involving your middle or inner ear. Both the middle and inner ears contain systems that regulate your body's balance, as well as hearing. Even the most minor disruption in that area can cause dizzyness, blocked ears, and hearing loss.

The ENT is a good place to start. Depending on what s/he finds, you may be referred to a neurotologist or oto-neurologist for further testing or treatment. Good luck!
ravenous_wolf - Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:25 pm

I have almost the same problem...

My right ear feels clogged like it needs to pop but doesn't. However, for the past several weeks, it would pop first thing in the morning and I would be fine the rest of the day.

I almost feel like I want to take a plane trip so it can pop. Something else, I don't know if there is any correlation but when I drink a heavily carbonated drink like Coke or Dr. Pepper, I think the carbonation gives me like small burps and once in a great while, the burp helps my ear pop and then I am fine.

But the way that I think it happens is that when I sleep on my right side of my body, it doesn't take long for it to get clogged. As a result, it happens every time I go to sleep or lay down on my right side. It sometimes happens when I get really sleepy but it is rare for it to happen that way. It just feels that there is a lot of pressure in my head.

I know that I have a deviated septum and I am constantly congested. I am going to have a surgery on that. In fact, I mentioned to the ENT that was seeing for the deviated septum and all he recommended is that I stop using Q-tips to clean my ear.

Which I stopped and there was immediate improvement but it never really went away. And for the past three days, it has stayed completely clogged so I have constant Headaches and it is just frustrating.

Anyway, I am going to try to see that ENT again (and I still got to get my surgery in the near future). However, since it was clogged the first time he saw it and didn't really recommend anything for treatment, I am wondering if that will happen again...
rjshprabhakar - Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Dear Amanda,
Hi, you seem to be suffering from secretory otitis media,. Here the patient has a feeling of fluid in the ear and blockage of ear. This occurs due to upper respiratory tract infection in a person with impaired functioning of eustachian tube. Some people are more prone to it. The treatment consists of taking antihistaminics with systemic decongestants like combination of cetrizine with pseudoephidrine, nasal decongestants like Otrivine nasal drops, systemic Antibiotics for 3 to 4 weeks. you also have to do exercises in the form of valsalva manouvre where after deep inspiration you blow out with nose pinched and mouth closed for 4-5 times in a day as this opens the eustachian tube and helps in drainage of accumulated fluid. All this is done after proper investigations like pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry. GO to an ENT specialist.
Dr Rajesh Prabhakar
ravenous_wolf - Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Dr Rajesh Prabhakar (or anyone else...)

I was wondering that since I have been having similar symptoms, if it is also the same thing with me... That is, my right ear feels clogged like it needs to be popped but it won't..

There is something else I noticed. Right now, I have awful sleep and an overnight trip to a sleep diagnostic clinic confirmed what I already knew. I also have lots of other bad habits that contribute to that, like deviated septum, bad diet, no exercise, snoring, etc...

Sometimes when I am very sleepy at work and I am getting groggier, all of a sudden, the ear clogs up and won't pop. When I feel like I am getting tired, I try to drink sodas to prevent that groggy feeling...

Right now, I have been to my doctor and ENT and both looked into my ear when it was clogged but didn't really say anything about it. I know that I should have pressed each one of them about it because it bothers me so much but I guess I was afraid of what kind of test they would give my ear...

I need to see my doctor and ENT again since I still haven't gotten the surgery to fix the deviated septum although the ENT just retired so I have to go through the process to find another one.

Are there any home remedies that are "safe" to make my ear pop. I know I want to be careful because I don't want to do anything dangerous to my ear...

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.