doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: VISUAL TO THE NAKED EYE--EPIGLOTTIS

pottyglotty - Mon May 10, 2004 11:40 pm

:shock:

PLEASE can somebody help?? I have already posted this thread on a different forum in here. it seems to have gone into the neck cancer forum. so I shall post this again here because nobody has commented and I think I may have been in the wrong place!

6 months ago I visited my gp, I had a severe feeling of a lump/hair in my throat, I was told I was just suffering Anxiety. since then I have been to the gp 3 more times, only to be told the same thing. recently things have taken a turn towards FREAKY!! whilst looking in my mouth I noticed something poking out at the back of my throat, base of my tounge. on visiting my gp once again and begging he take a look, he did. his exact words were" oh my god!" "I have never seen anything like it!". he came to the conclusion it was my epiglottis. he had no explanation of why on earth it has decided to appear into view.

to help with any advice I recieve here are some other pieces of info on what else I have been feeling.
1- to start with a hair/lump feeling making me want to gag.
2- gloopy saliva that loiters in the back of my throat, which is hard to clear
3- comments that on the outside to look at me I look as if my windpipe area has grown wider than before, this area is extra nobbly. gp said this is as I am thin and its just more noticable. I KNOW that it has not always been this way.
4- I am finding it increasingly more uncomfortable to eat as it feels almost as if after the first few mouthfuls the food stays in my throat for a time before gradually sliding down. sometimes it feels like I imagine a snake feels when it has eaten a large mammal and it is visable in the body of the snake until its digested.
5- I am unsure if this is significant but- the veins in both my left and right arm regulaly throughout the day swell unconfortably, I look like a bodybuilders veins! though other times they disappear and leave dents where they were.
6- a recent visit to the dentist to rule out any mouth problems resulted in the dentist commenting that he could see a little further back past my protruding epiglottis and he said he saw a ball like mass in my throat, he also said he was surprised I was manging to swallow.

I have only set up my internet purely to see if I can find anything out for myself as the gp made no suggestions on what could have caused this strange thing. I have looked through many sites and all I have so far found is evidence of cases where the only visual evidence is pictures taken during throat surgery, I cannot find anything where the epiglottis can be seen without the aid of surgical instruments. PLEASE could somebody offer any suggestions???PLEASE????
my gp has at last made a referral for me to the ENT specialist, only the letter says the waiting list is at least 17 weeks, I am hungry!! I am eating for survival rather than for any pleasure. to swallow is a battle between satisfying hunger and not gagging the food out. please help me, it is becoming unbearable by the day
Dr. Russell M - Sat May 29, 2004 7:11 pm

Hi!

The ENT is the way to go, but meanwhile, if you find it painful to be swallowing, you may try Analgesics available over the counter. Tylenol may be begun for a start, and if not responding, advil may be begun.

If the problem has gone to the extent that you're unable to eat, you may visit the ED for care.

Enalrged epiglottis have been part of epiglottitis in children. But in your case, you are dealing with a ?mass too.

For symptomatic relief you may try gargling with lidocaine/cetacaine.

Hope this helps till your ENT visit, and hope things are not bad enough to warrant any Anxiety.

bill

.
pottyglotty - Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:00 am

hi, thanks for your response. I have since posting, been to the ENT specialist. After doing alot of talkin into his dictophone he told me that I must stop smoking and I have what looks to him like a pre-cancerous throat. He has arranged for me to go on a waitning list for a barium swallow and also arranged for me to go on another waiting list to see a neurologlist. A few years ago I visited a specialist because I was experienceing numbness in the top of my thigh, I also had recieved odd readings for a routine eye check up, my field of vision was wrong in some way. anyway ill keep you informed to what happens at the next appts, thanks again. Oh and while I remember, I have no pain in swallowing whatsoever, just major discomfort because I feel like gaggin on the food, but no pain though.
Dr. Russell M - Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:20 pm

Hi!

Good to know that you're on the path to diagnosis. Do keep us posted regarding the outcomes of it all.

bill
lookingforanswers - Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:46 am

Hi.

I too have problems with swallowing, clicking/lump in throat. This is the fisrt thread that I have read someone has been able to see their epiglottis. Am am able to as well, and have been for months now. I discovered it while traveling and have just gotten stateside and have an appointment this week. I am scared to say the least. Please let me know how your ENT appt turns out. Maybe we could go back in forth with info, as I gather this is unusual.

Thanks-
elaine222 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

My son had something like this this past week. He's 18 soon to be 19. He was complaining that he felt like a pill was stuck in his throat. I looked in his throat with a flashlight and saw this tiny miniature looking tonque thing sticking sraight up in the back of his tonque. I never saw anything like it. I called the doctor on the phone since it was after hours and he said it could be the epiglottis but of course couldn't say over the phone, but that if he had trouble breathing to go to the ER. He didn't have trouble breathing or pain, just very bothersome. We let it go for the night at my son's request. I looked in his throat the next day and I could see it was still there but appeared lower down but still visible in the throat. He said it was bothering him after eating something spicy that day. By day 3 he said he didn't feel anything anymore, but I looked anyway and I could just see the tip of it. It seems to me if it's the epiglottis, which when I looked on the internet, that's what it looked like, but I think it is too high up in the throat. Since he's not complaining anymore, I will still take look again and also ask if he has the saliva thing that you complained of and also I'll look for any enlargment of the neck. He didn't complain of having trouble swallowing. I did feel around for swollen glands, seemed fine. If I still see that thing, I'll take him in to the GP doc at least, maybe an ENT. He has had sinus problems in the past and he has Atypical CF, maybe it has something to do with it. Good luck with your situation. I think an ENT is the best route. They can look right in the office with a tiny scope. I have had it done and so has my son but in the sinuses. It doesn't hurt or anything. I'm curious to see what they come up with you.

pottyglotty wrote:
:shock:

6 months ago I visited my gp, I had a severe feeling of a lump/hair in my throat, I was told I was just suffering Anxiety. since then I have been to the gp 3 more times, only to be told the same thing. recently things have taken a turn towards FREAKY!! whilst looking in my mouth I noticed something poking out at the back of my throat,
base of my tounge. on visiting my gp once again and begging he take a look, he did. his exact words were" oh my god!" "I have never seen anything like it!". he came to the conclusion it was my epiglottis. he had no explanation of why on earth it has decided to appear into view.

my gp has at last made a referral for me to the ENT specialist, only the letter says the waiting list is at least 17 weeks, I am hungry!! I am eating for survival rather than for any pleasure. to swallow is a battle between satisfying hunger and not gagging the food out. please help me,
it is becoming unbearable by the day

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.