Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Sleep Change After Starting Exercise

rcovingt - Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 pm

I am a 50 year old male in good health. While I am in reasonable shape, I recently began an exercise program for the first time since high school. I do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, weights 3 tims a week, and some swimming.

At the same time I started exercising, I also pushed my bed time up 30 minutes to allow for extra sleep. While I had been sleeping consistantly 7 hours per night, immediately after beginning the exercise program, I began waking up 2 hours earlier than normal, and not being able to go back to sleep. This pattern has continued on a daily basis since that time.

I do not feel sleep deprived at all, and my energy is excellent, but I am wondering if the exercise is related to the sudden sleep pattern change.

Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:42 pm

Hi rcovingt,
Exercise certainly increases energy, decreases Depression, and it is not an impossibility that sleep pattern changes may occur. As long as you do not feel sleep deprived, and you feel refreshed upon awakening, I would not consider this as a harm or detriment.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.