Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: gray/blueish growth on gums

zena21 - Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:25 am

Just like about 2 days a go, I realized when brushing my teeth, I had a slight growth on my gums, at the back of my mouth, in the spaces between where the cheeks meet the teeth, I don't have the same thing on the other side, and today I tried to have a look in the mirror and it was greyish/blue. it is not painful, and its not hard mass, its soft. Im not sure what this is, but I scheduled my appointment with my dentist and its not until the 9th of may. I was wondering if a nurse or a Doctor look in to this and let me know if I need to see someone right away.
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am

Hi zena21,
Aside from bleeding gums when brushing your teeth, another sign of peridontal disease is soft, bluish discolorations noticed on the gums. I would strongly suggest that you keep your dental appointment so that the cause of the discoloration can be identified.
johnhelp - Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 am

25, male healthy
Ok here the Question I have a grown on both my cheeks on the same spot in my mouth. one seem to be a lil swollen and tender right now. just want to know is this normal and when I open my cheeks wide to see them they kinda move like fingers are something to that affect. just want your take on it
thanks. hope Im not a alien LOL ps that one is really sore
Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 am

What you may be seeing is the opening of your parotid salivary gland into your mouth. There is one on each side and are generally located about half way back on the cheek just above the middle.

When you are at your dentist or doctor have them take a look. They should be able to tell you for sure.

Hope this helps.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.