doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Hole in gums to nasal passage.

precinct38 - Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:50 am

Hello, new here. I am a 50 year old male with top dentures. To keep them in place I suck them tight to the roof of my mouth which worked great until just recently. I cannot suck them up anymore and found that I have a hole above my gum area where the top of the gums reaches the inside cheek. I can actually suck air through this hole and if I plug my nose, both nostrils, it stops. Also when I brush my teeth and take an amount of water in my mouth for rinsing and close my mouth and build up pressure, the water drips out of my one nostril. Any help or advice is much appreciated. I have no pain in the area at all. Thankyou!
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:11 pm

Dear Precinct38,

The possibilities are numerous, you must consult with a dentist, an oromaxillary surgeon and/or an ear, nose and throat specialist.

Serious causes such as cancer, infection of the bone itself or rare fungal infections could be the culprit.

Even though it is not impossible to have a hole in the bones of the roof of the mouth just from continuous pressure from a denture, yet, I think it is highly unlikely.

Please, consult with your physician as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
precinct38 - Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:39 am

Thankyou Yasser Mokhtar, M. D. for your quick response to my question.
Just to clarify alittle more, the hole is not in the roof of my mouth, it is between the upper right gumline where the gum connects to the cheek tissue. Never the less, I will make an appointment first thing tomorrow and seek medical advise. Thankyou again, "precinct38"

antagonizing - Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 am

Hi. I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but it was the closest thing I could find to my own problem, and I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to start a new topic. Very sorry.

I've also recently noticed a hole in my gums. It's below my bottom teeth, directly over the jaw. When I press on the outside of my cheek, even lightly, it hurts. It hurts constantly, but even more if I do something like this. Or if I eat.
My jaw and cheek have been hurting for several weeks but it's gotten nearly unbearable in the last couple of days. Also, my neck feels swollen, right below the jaw. It feels stiff.
Only a couple of hours ago did I think to take a look inside my mouth where I found the hole in my gums. Maybe hole isn't the right word. Tear, maybe. A deep, elliptical tear. It looks clean, in a way. It's not bleeding, the edges look perfectly smooth.... if I didn't know that there isn't supposed to be a hole in my gums and wasn't in pain 24/7, I would think it looked quite natural there.

I tried calling my dentist (before I realized a tear was my problem) but it takes months to get in. The problem keeps getting worse and I'm not sure what I should do about it.
It's three in the morning, I can't sleep because I'm worried and I can't eat because of the pain.

Thank you for any advice or information you can give me.
md5443 - Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:39 am

I just had multiple teeth extracted yesterday and I have a hole in one of the sockets clear through to my left nostril. I saw the general dentist today and she said if it isn't better by Monday to call the oral surgeon who did the extractions. Is this at all normal for this to have happened?
krazykute - Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:02 am

Earlier today my ear was Itching on the inside, so I scrated it by inserting my pinky finger in my ear, and I noticed that my finger hit something, and when I tryed to pull it out it hurt. but I hard a brown wax type stuff on my finger nail. I was wondering what this could be, cuz lately I have been experiencing that that one ear clogs up alot and I can't hear out of it very well... I was also wondering if you are able to pull out your eardrum...

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.