Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Clustered Red Bumps on Tip of Tongue - Herpes?

chameleon - Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:53 pm

For the last 5 weeks, I have noticed small red bumps on the tip of my tongue and along the sides. This had made my tongue very sensitive. It almost looks like strawberry tongue (usually happens to children I've heard), but I am 29 and as I said it still has not gone away after 5 weeks.

I visited a free clinic since I have no insurance and they said that they didn't know what it was nor did they prescribe anything. They told me to rinse with hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day for a week and if that didn't help then to see a specialist. Well its been a week and no change.

As a side note, I have been dating someone for the last 11 months who regularly breaks out in cold sores on his lips (not tongue). I have no cold sores on my lips or on my gums. Help. Want to go to the hospital today but afraid I will just get the run around like at the free clinic and have to pay $400 for not being insured.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:31 am

Sores on the tongue could arise from many causes ranging from a bacterial infection to cancer. The presence of bumps on either side of the tongue as opposed to only one side is against cancer (cancer usually develops as a painless bump on one side of the tongue). Other possible causes: oral herpes simplex infection, canker sores, Tuberculosis, bacterial infections, or early-stage syphilis. It could also be an immune system problem or an allergy.
The cause can usually be determined within the context of careful history taking and examination. Please keep these causes in mind during your next visit to the doctor and try to raise these possibilities for him/her.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.