doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ear twitches on the inside?

lucidity03 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi. I've looked everywhere and haven't found anything on this.

My left ear seems to be 'twitching' on the inside... like inside the canal. It's not quite like the eyelid because I can only feel it inside my head.

What is this? Should I go to the doctor? It comes and goes. It's been about 4 days since I first noticed it. It's hard to explain, but like I said, it's like an eyelid twitch, but inside my ear - where I can't touch.

Is this just a muscle spasm?

Any advice would be great.
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Hello there,

It’s hard to speculate what is going on, but with more detail we may be able to offer possible causes of you symptoms. Please provide us with more details about yourself and your overall health condition. For example your age, medical history including any muscular disorder, surgical history, drug history and any conditions that run in the family. These snips of information can be put together to narrow down the list of possible diagnoses and rule out any sinister causes.

Based on what you have described two possibilities exist. First, you may be experiencing a spasm or ‘myclonus’ of the small muscle(s) of the inner ear causing you to feel a twitching sensation. This may be localised or associated with motor tics or spasms throughout your body, if you have experienced any. For those who have been diagnosed by ENT surgeons with this treatment has consisted of muscle relaxants or paralysis of the offending muscle. Alternatively you may be feeling the sensation of your heartbeat in your ear, which is a relatively common complaint. Audiological studies may be able to determine an abnormal pattern of conduction and transmission in the affected ear. I would suggest you visit your family physician if your quality of life is suffering as a result and he may refer you on to a specialist for further investigation.

Kind regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery
lucidity03 - Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Since I've posted the message, the spasms died down and I haven't had any in a few days.

I'm a 28 year old female and I'm in generally good health.

If the spasms start back up, I'll certainly consider seeing a doctor. For now, they seem to be gone.

So far it seemed to be just an annoyance, luckily. Hopefully it won't come back. (It didn't stop me in my usual activities - it really was like an eyelid twitch in that sense... just annoying)
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Thats good to know. Please keep me updated if your symptoms return.

Kind Regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.