doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: eye injury

silverback - Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:52 pm

My girlfriend was in a car acciedent on the 6th of june. The air bag deployed and caused some damage to her eye. The first eye doctor said there was some damage. My girlfriend said she can only see a little bit. for example she can see her hand out in front of her but only in certain positions. things are blurry at best from far away. The eye doctor could not understand why she could not see more clearly! The blood vessels in her eye are broken. I did notice one thing. The eye in question..........the pupil in that eye is a little bit more dialated than the good eye.....Iam sure the dialated eye is attempting to allow her to see....She is using TOBRADEX ( steroid drops ) and some kind of Antibiotic drops for here eye......DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON HER EYE....MABEY THE EYE WAS SLIGHTLY BURNED OR SOME DAMAGE TO THE RETINA!
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:38 pm

Sliverback,
Was there nothing at all wrong with her examination? What did the doctor say after performing the ophthalmoscopic examination (this is involves a device the doctor wears to look into her eye).
silverback - Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:22 am

the opthamologist said she has some damage to her Cilia. He said there is still so much blood in her eye he can't tell to what extent. He said it is possible for gloucoma to arise from this injury. He recommends a gloucoma specialist. Any thoughts!
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:26 am

The ciliary body is the structure in the eye that secretes the transparent liquid within the eye (aqueous humor). It also contains the ciliary muscle, which changes the shape of the lens when your eyes focus.

Glaucoma is increased pressure in the eyeball due to obstruction of the outflow of aqueous humor; damages the optic disc and impairs vision (sometimes progressing to blindness).

Several treatment options are available that are designed to decrease the ciliary body's production of aqueous humor. These include medical as well as surgical and laser techniques. But before we get into any of that she should be examined and it should be established first whether she indeed has glaucoma or not. If its just the bleeding (hyphema). Blood usually reabsorbs, but the doctor must make sure the process is resolving itself. If intraocular pressure increases or if bleeding reoccurs, she may be hospitalized.
Dionne - Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:23 am

(Please forgive me for intruding on this message -- I could not find any link that allows posting a new topic. Would you kindly forward it to the proper place?)

Immediatly after laser iridotomy to treat narrow angle glaucoma, I noted what appeared to be reflectrions (retroreflections) of my eyelids -- a horizontally-curved glare in high contrast lighting that follow my eyelid movements. My ophthalmologist would not acknowledge their existence and essentially ignored my complaint.

Is this side effect common? Will they ever go away? Why are they there?

Thank you, Dionne
jamesjames - Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:02 am

My father having a problem. He want to get back to work as early as possible but around the eye of the face is red mostly is black of the blood. This start since yesterday morning I heard from my father said he got a finger pok at the eye and injure near the left eye and bleeding inside of the face and the spread more. But my father eye is ok.

May I know how long will it be to will the dryblood on the face (close to the left eye) get away. or if my father go to see a doctor will he helps? or how long of rest will the dryblood on the face get off?

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.