doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: really weird things are happening to me please help!

jamiekay1983 - Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:09 am

im a 23 yr old female, past diagnoses have include Hypothyroidism, past surgeries include D&C, family history includes Hypothyroidism and Diabetes. not on any current medication although I should be for my thyroid problem.. ok now to what going on with me.. my ear canal keeps twitching and ive been seeing little itty bitty white spot floating everywhere.. I know it sounds weird.. the seeing spots started a week ago , and the twitching ear cananl started 2 days ago. Is there something wrong with me?
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:38 pm

Hello jamiekay

The symptoms you describe are not very specific to any condition that I can think of but a whole host of reasons may explain them. Regarding the twitching in your ears, please refer to an earlier post about this exact symptom and my reply it. Do you or any member of your family suffer from any other conditions apart from those described? Do you know what type of Diabetes you suffer from? What is your occupation?

Regarding the white spots you describe in your vision, are they bright lights or white spots? Are they limited to one or both eyes? Do you suffer from Headaches before or after they occur? Do you experience any other unusual symptoms around the time that the white spots appear? I ask these questions because a common symptom of a subtype of migraines is the appearance of halos in the vision with or without Headaches. With this information we may be able to come closer to a diagnosis.

Kind Regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery
jamiekay1983 - Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:16 pm

I work at a retail store called kohls.. I don't work often, only 5 hours a week. there is a family history of Diabetes, but I don't have it. at least not yet. The spots I see are hard to describe. Theyre tiny and look like a bunch of tiny white bugs flying around. sometimes I get them before I have a Headache or after a Headache begins, but mostly its never accompanied with a head ache. now with the twitching right ear canal, my right eyes has been twitching and leaking water. and this morning im having to find that my left side of my upper lip is twitching as well. Im starting to think that maybe this is caused by stress? There is a feeling of pressure in my head, though its not painful, its just really bothersome.. It also makes my eyes feel swollen. The people I work with are concerned seeing how yesterday I was feeling really dizzy. I could stand in one place for a long time, but as soon as I moved I got the "spins". if you need more information please let me know.
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Hello again,

Your symptoms point more and more towards a neurological cause. It would be hard for me to speculate what may be happening. I strongly suggest, given your age and need to get back your quality of life, that you visit your family doctor who should perform a full neurological exam and consider referral to a neurologist if any concerns arise. As I mentioned before, certain types of migraine Headaches can cause all these symtoms, but most importantly sinister causes must be ruled out first. A scan of your head may even be indicated if your symptoms continue.

Kind Regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.