doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: caffene

nikki5 - Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:14 am

hi :)

I decided it was time to get rid of drinking coke cos for years ive drank diet coke and only that. no water except for at the gym so anyway, its been 7 days and I have had an awful Headache the hole time. im taking panadol for it. witch is taking the edge off it but its still there. I assume its the lack of caffene as I usually don't get Headaches. will this go away soon do you think? or shall I just go buy a coke? :| oh and.. I don't want chocolate because im on a diet but I had a thought.. chocolate contains caffeene doesnt it? and so if I were to have chocolate, would that make me want a coke? im doin the water thing!

thanks
Dr. Leigh Anderson - Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 am

Hi Nikki5,

Sudden withholding of Caffein is not good for your body which had become dependant on its effect. you are experiencing Headaches as a result of the lack of caffein your body is now not getting. If you want to be successful in eliminating the use of Caffein in your every day diet, you need to gradually ween your body off of Caffein . Totally eliminating Cafeine all of a sudden is not reccommended and can result in major health problems.

I suggest you do a process of elimination
Start out drinking 1 to 2 cafene drinks a day for a week , then the next week drink 1 a day for the rest of the week, and perhaps by the 3rd week consume a caffeine beverage every other day until your body becomes less dependant on its effects.
nikki5 - Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:34 am

thanks for the reply anderson.. I decided I really didnt want to cut down on the coke because I seem to do better when its all or nothing so its close to two weeks now and the Headaches are gone, its great! thanks hepas :)

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.