doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: PCOS and cant loose weight. What else can I do?

Ladysmokeater - Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm a 29 yr old female diagnosed with PCOS last summer. (The syndrome with no cysts) no other known medical conditions. I had my appendix out in '99 and my wisdon teeth in '97ish.
Family history of PCOS (1/2 sister), heart pblms (grandparents), Lung cancer (mom) Fybromyalga (mom and sisters) thyroid (mom, and aunt on dads side)
Currently taking Yaz and a multi vit.
Let me give a tad of background then ask my question, please. I am 5'2" 230 lbs (my BMI is like 42 my body fat depending on how its calculated about 35-38%.) New regulations for the job I used to have now require a BMI of less than 40. (previously it was body fat% and an agility test which I passed) So I was told to loose 30 lbs to be below the max BMI to qualify for the job thats opening in the next month) I have been dieting and excersizing as per my family doc with limited results. I have lost inches and body fat % but not weight. Until a couple weeks ago when I got a really bad cold, I was running/walking 45min to an hour 5 days a week, walking another 30 everyday and doing some video excersizing (dancing) 30min when I couldnt get outside to run, also pushups and sit ups with a yoga ball. I am starting back on this now that Im not sick. I have been eating between 1200 and 1500 cal a day with very few exceptions and never ever more than 2000. All of my last bloodwork (september) was good. BGL 79, total colest. 145, and BP was normal. the obgyn and my family doc said all my blood work was normal, including thyroid.
Since I started Yaz 3 months ago for PCOS, Ive lost no weight, but Ive lost inches and Ive kept at my diet. My family doc and my obgyn said Im doing everything right, eating ballanced meals, and working out properly but they cant figure out why its not helping. We've tweeked it more workouts or less calories a couple times in the last year and even tired a precription diet pill and got no results. The Yaz has made me have my peroid again, stop loosing hair and some of the extra body hair has stopped. They tried me on Nortel 35 for 2 mos before Yaz and It made me so tired I couldnt function.

My Question: What else can I do to loose weight? Ive had tons of blood work done and all kinds of tests that come back normal. My family doc said there is nothing else that can be done, but he wants to try me on metaforin for the PCOS. Before I was on birth control for the PCOS, I was gaining weight at 1200 cal a day with excersize.
Im going back to my family doc tommrow. Is there anything else I can do? Is there anything else I need to be checked for or that I might have going on thats causeing this? At this point I'll do or try anything.
Thank you all so much for your time and effort. have a great day!
ronirains - Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:52 pm

I too have the PCOS and am very overweight. I tried the Metformin, but it didn't do anything for me. Then my doctor put me on Phentermine and Prozac. He said they work together, and I was loosing weight really good.

I can't afford to go to the doctor now, or I would still be on it. Maybe you should ask your doctor about those meds. Hope that helps a little!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.