doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: possible flu maybe cold...

elizabethnwaters - Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:13 pm

im 23 female and no diagnosis yet. surgeries only tonsilectomy and well family history is irrelevant, medications orthoevra and hydrocodone (as needed)

for four days now I have had a Headache and cold chills, not running a Fever that I know of unless it is at night. throat start hurting last night and today I am unable to swallow well and talk without pain. I cant yawn or Cough without my throat feeling like it is goingto get ripped out!

A friend has went through the same thing suggested thera flu and lots of sleep and fluids. However I don't want to do the medicine thing if I can get away from it. There is no congestion just cold chills constantly and exhaustion with a sore throat at the moment. is there anything naturally that I can take to help me or is this just a common cold.

the only reason I am worried is because it has been two weeks since she felt the same way but she still feels sick after two weeks and is getting better slowly!

Thanks everyone
htlaeh - Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:44 pm

This reply may no longer be relevant since it has been almost a month since you posted. However, the following could be used for future reference.

Studies have shown that garlic may strengthen the immune system. Fresh garlic is better than taking garlic pills because the Antibiotic "allicin" is released when fresh garlic is crushed.

Studies have also shown that high levels of vitamin C taken every two hours throughout the day can reduce the 'sick time' with a cold. However, use with caution because high levels of vitamin C may cause GI upset in some individuals.

You can try zinc lonzenges and also gargle with warm, salt water at least every four hours for a sore throat.

Echinacea is purported as having Antibiotic effects. Elderberry has been shown to prevent and/or decrease sick time in several strains of flu. Studies have shown that elderberry inhibits cell duplication in these flu strains.

Drink plenty of fluids and rest.

Though herbal and natural remedies have been shown to be helpful, you should not rely on them when your symptoms are serious. You should consult your physician if you have a Fever of 101 degrees or if you have persistent sore throat lasting more than a few days.

The following preventive measures are of utmost importance during the cold/flu season:

*Get a flu vaccine and Pneumonia vaccine, especially if you are at high risk
*Avoid contact with people who obviously have a respiratory infection (actively Coughing/sneezing)
*Wash hands after going out in public, before meals, after using the restroom, and after contact with anyone that is sick
*Good nutrition
*Regular exercise
*Keep hands away from face

If you still have the symptoms that you described when you posted (Jan. 24th), then you need to see a physician now.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.