doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Raised eye pressure-loss of vision

dooper - Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:14 pm

A friend of mine is male, aged early 60's. He is generally fit and very active. Many years ago he had a motorbike accident and as far as I can gather, he injured his eye and had to have a false lens inserted? Anyway he has been fine since then excpet that in recent years he noticed a gradual decline in his quality of vision in this eye. Further investigation reveals that he has raised intra ocular pressure. His physician has been prescribing eye drops for some time now but the problem continues and he describes what seems to be a gradual loss of vison, like a shdaow, which is closing in from the periphery of his vision. I have urged him to seek a second opinion as I feel that he is worsening and yet perhaps nothing will be done until it is too late to save whatever sight he has left..any feedback appreciated.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Dear dooper,

I think you are right. If your friend is getting worse even though he is taking his eye drops on regular basis, I think he needs to ask his doctor to change his medications, or seek a second opinion. Loss of vision from glaucoma (increased intracranial pressure) in most cases, should be preventable.

I am not an ophthalmologist but I think that there are types of glaucoma that are treated with surgery.

I think you should urge your friend to talk to his doctor about other options or seek a second opinion.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.