Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Neck burning/tingling

stash - Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:59 am

To whom it may concern: I am a 34 y/o male competitive grappler. I exercise daily, doing a combination of calisthenics, weight lifting, and Jiu-Jitsu/wrestling. Although I can't recall any particular injury and I'm not in pain, when I shrug my left shoulder or lay on my left side, I get a strange tingling or burning sensation up my neck and to my jaw on the left side. This has continued for about 2 weeks, but no change. I'm not in pain but alarmed. I suspected disc compression or a pinched nerve?? Any thoughts?? Thank you for your time in advance.
Marceline F, RN - Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:32 am

Dear Henry,
Aggressive full-body contact sports can cause different types of injuries in the competitors. While you may not recall a specific trauma or incident that may have caused your current neck burning and tingling, it does seem possible that a partial subluxation in the neck may have occurred either acutely or over a period of time. Many competitors have developed a personal style of wrestling or grappling that includes favoring one side over the other, or one angle over another. As you study your opponent prior to a match, these moves may be ones you watch for. At the same time, you too may have developed certain habits of guarding or attack that favor certain angles. Over a period of time the c-spine can succumb to stress or pressure and cause problems in the disks, the disk spaces, and the nerves passing through the spinal column. A Cat Scan of the neck, maybe even an MRI would be a valuable diagnostic tool to help determine if you indeed have any damaged areas in your spinal column. I would certainly have it investigated by a physician prior to any further contact matches, to be sure you do not have something wrong right on the brink of disasterous. Your next match could be your last.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.