doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ear infection

sheila - Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:17 am

I have been on erythromicin for 6 days for a double ear infection/sinus infection. I am somewhat better, however, my ears have so much fluid accumulated that I can barely hear and still have occasional pain. Will the fluid go away over time - or do I need to return to my Dr? I have no insurance and don't want to make an unnecessary visit.
Thank you.
DeLWolcott - Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:34 am

Yes, the fluid will diminish in time. Speak to your physician about possibly using a decongestant to diminish post-nasal drip to promote clearing of the ears.
borbujas - Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:50 pm

My mother has had an ear infection for a while, slowly it started numbming that side of her face. She is taking medication both for the infection and for pain. THe doctor told it was do to drastic waeather change. He also said it might last for up to 2 months.. I need a second opinion. Should we go to another Doctor? Is this normal 2 months?
leamea - Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi. I am sorry if I am not posting this properly. It started last October (of 2004). Went to my ENT for symptom of dizziness I thought may be related to an ear problem. He noted nystagmus and diagnosed labrynthitis initially, but had me come back to test my hearing and for BPPV. I was diagnosed with BPPV (hearing was fine) and given an Epley(?) maneuver to attempt to diminish it. This treatment did not work, so I went back, had another maneuver and wore a collar to keep my head stationary. When I went back again I was still dizzy. They sent me for an MRI in January. This was fine. I gave up for awhile but then went to the PCP in May . They said I was having a somewhat fast heartbeat. Had an Echo. Nothing wrong. Well, next to nothing, I only had MVP ( I assume the diastolic abnormality noted in the Echo report is due to the MVP?). Anyway...I am still dizzy and went back to the doctor because it's been a year and my PCP wants me to go to another ENT. :( I really don't want to go and was wondering what the longest time anyone has known a patient to be dizzy before it resolves on its own? Please no more collars. All I got from the last one was a rash. It's just seeming kind of goofy and stupid and ever- present.
Presuming there is no underlying problem of any consequence, and there does not appear to be, it will eventually resolve on its own, right?

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.