Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Stretching pain right below her knee

chrisy - Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:12 am

Dear Doctor,
A few days ago, my mother experience this stretching pain right below her knee. It felt like someone riped the muscle off her bone. A day later, the pain is gone but so is the muscle. it's just skin and bone. now there's a hollow. what is this strange problem? Thanks.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:55 am

Hello Chrisy
Its very difficult for me to evaluate your mother's problem over the internet. However, the pain you described is most often seen in muscle spasm. The muscle contracts really hard that it becomes painful. Naturally, if it contracts it becomes more prominent and your mother can easily feal it. Once it relaxes again it returns to normal and can be hardly felt unless it is contracted e. g. by flexing the toes up (dorsiflexion).

Causes of transient muscle spasm include: fatigue, mineral abnormalities and could also be a normal physiological process.
chrisy - Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:22 pm

Thank you for replying, it definitely made me feel better. But is it normal for her to feel hot (on her legs) when she's not hot to the touch? and it's a hollow on her right leg but her left feels normal. Thanks.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.