Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: effect of repeated ear barotrauma??

carlylouise - Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:08 pm

Hi there. I work as a host/elevator operator in one of the world's tallest buildings. As such, I am going up and down in our high-speed elevators frequently (minimum 10 round trips a day), so my ears are popping at least once each way. I am curious if there is the possibility of damage to my ears from this repeated barotrauma. On occasion my ears will ache slightly (even when not in the elevator).
Does anyone know if this continuous ear popping will have adverse effects, and if so, is there any evidence you could direct me to ?(perhaps to prove it to my employers).
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am

Dear Carlylouise,

I think that this ear popping is equalization of pressure around the ear drum and personally I would not call it ear barotrauma.

Ear barotrauma refers to tear in the ear drum. Symptoms include ear pain, may be some bleeding and decrease in hearing acuity.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.