doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Strange weight problem

shannan26 - Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:32 pm

I'm almost 27 (sobbing).
I'm 5'1
and I can't seem to gain a pound no matter how much I eat.

I've spent this year the same as every other year in the past... I eat and eat and finally add a couple pounds and within a day or two I'm less then where I began. (I even planted fruit trees and berry bushes so I can graze while I work/play in the yard)

An example. This summer I lost so much my hips and ribs were poking into my matress making sleep almost impossible. I ate almost non stop and was very happy when I weighed in at 110lbs (this was 4 weeks ago).
Sunday I was bragging to my inlaws about how well my weight was doing and jumped on the scale to see I'm at 101lbs (this explains why my pants have been getting looser again). I got on the scale again today to find I'm down to 99lbs. I had noticed phisically I was loosing again but having bought a new matress the pain was'nt there for me to realize how bad it was.

One month I look fine, the next my bones are jutting out and people are saying I look horrible.

I have no health problems. I eat like a horse (not alot of red meats and I have a fondness for foot long Subway seafood and crab subs). I take vitamins and while I don't excersise the way I should I do chase after 2 young children non stop.

My father is like I am with this issue but unlike myself I don't think he's in any danger of disapearing altogether. My mother is short but by no means a small lady. I don't think this is an inherited thing.

Any ideas??

Thank you in advance,
Shannan26
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:39 pm

Dear Shannan26,

Please follow this link body surface area calculator to calculate your body mass index and see that you have a normal body mass index, may be a little on the lowish side but still within normal limits.

If you don't have any medical problems, you are not having any new symptoms, you are eating a healthy balanced diet, you don't seem to have any vitamin deficiency, have a good energy level and going along well in doing what is needed without problems, I would not worry much about it.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.