The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Weight-lifting question

Frvade - Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:13 am

Hey,
I've heard it's bad if you work the same muscle groups multiple days in a row and that doing so can also do more harm than good, but I've also heard of major fitness buffs who do the same workout everyday at 4 am. Thus I was wondering which is true. Will doing the same lifting exercises daily be harmful as opposed to beneficial.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:00 pm

Putting too much strain on a certain group of muscles will probably be counter productive. As in any training program, rest is an essential factor. It's important to leave a day between exercising a specific body part or muscle in order to reap the benefits of your hard work. Weightlifting may cause micro-tears in the muscle fiber(s) that temporarily reduce strength. These tears are thought to cause some of the soreness you feel after a new exercise or tough workout. During this crucial rest time, your muscles are building protein and getting stronger. It takes about two days to heal the muscle fibers torn by weightlifting.

One safe schedule would focus on different muscle groups in three-day cycles, leaving two days in between the same group. For example:

Day one: back and biceps
Day two: chest and triceps
Day three: legs and abs
Day four: repeat day one