doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Eating Problems (hate nearly all food since 3-6 yrs old)

Vullcan - Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:21 pm

Ever since I was about 3-6 years old ive hardly liked any food. My diet consists of pretty much less than 10 items (this is for breakfast/lunch/dinner not snacks etc), all junk food pretty much. Now im older I really need to eat proper food obviously, but I have tried many things willingly and I just do not like ANYTHING. I really don't know what to do.

Have you any idea why I am like this? Is it just something up with my brain or something? Is it something I can fix?

Also, those tablets/pills which contain vitamins etc, do they actually work? My step-dad seems to think they are just a marketing con and they don't contain proper vitamins.

Dr. Russell M - Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi!

Have you been checking if your height and weight are within normal limits? Has this dislike for food caused an impact on your body? What specific foods don't you like? Do you take fruits/vegetables/dairy products/meat? Do you exercise?

Multivitamins are not all con. In deficient states they do help.

bill
Vullcan - Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:29 pm

1. I am definately normal height. Im even taller than my brother whos 3 years older and eats fine and spends most of his time on his bike and at the gym. Not sure about my weight. Last time I checked my weight was about 4 years ago and I was 6 stone. So I guess now im atleast 8 stone.

2. Well I have Psoriasis or however you spell it but the doctor says the cause is not fully know but is often in people who have had lots of stress, and during the time I got it I was in one of the top 10 worste schools in england (which has now been shut down) and got heavily bullied.

3. I think its what foods I do like hehe. I don't like any vegetabled. Only meat I like is chicken. I like 2 fruits; apples and bananas. I don't exercise much. Up until 3 months ago I walked to school and back and had P. E lessons in school of course. I go to town occasionaly too and spend about an hour or 2 walking about.

Thanks very much
Dr. Russell M - Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:38 pm

Hi!

Can you like pineapples? ;)

bill
Vullcan - Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Hmm I don't think ive tried them to be honest. My parents never buy them. Why?
Dr. Russell M - Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:35 pm

Hi!

Cuz I heard pineapples got them enzymes that help digest food. could try them n c.

bill
Vullcan - Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:47 pm

Digesting food? My problems with just liking it though, I can digest it fine.

Do you or anyone else think that its out of my control due to my genes or brain or whatever? Everyone seems to think I refuse to like the food or that one day il suddenly like everything :(
Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:53 pm

Hi!

Likes and dislikes for food vary between individuals. It is not because you have a problem with digestion that pineapples were suggested. Early and easy digestion of food helps early stimulation of the 'hunger center' within one's brain that helps people eat.

Basically, there are three 'centers' in the brain that regulate our eating habits. The 'hunger center,' 'appetite center,' and 'satiety center,' all situated within our brains. When the hunger and appetite centers of the brain stimulate the person to eat, the satiety center stimulates the person to STOP eating.

While the 'hunger center' stimulates the person to EAT, the 'appetite center' tells the person WHAT to eat. The 'orders' of the 'appetite center' are more in tune with the eating experiences of the person, including likes and dislikes. It is relatively easy to fight off our appetite center, but nearly impossible to fight off our hunger.

Since your problem seems to be with 'appetite,' my suggestion is to use the 'hunger' to control the 'appetite.' Pineapples apart, daytime fasting until you feel really hungry by the evening may help you determine what you miss most from your taste buds. You may thus discover your likings, discover your appetite.

Hope this helps

bill
Gracie - Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 am

I have also alwyas been a very picky eater. I am a vegitarian. I have never, ever eaten any meat. I just do not like the taste of it. I also don't like fruit or vegitables. I eat apples on occation, love carrots. My diet consists of a lot of starches. I love potatoes, and pasta. I love cheese. But that is it. I am 24 years old, and have been like this ever since I was a baby. I am healthy weight, and have a great apitite, eat regularly, I just don't liek the taste or texture of most foods.
When I was a child, my mother took me to a doctor, and she asked me all these questions abotu what I eat and when, then told my mother she didnt think I was anorexic. Well, I could have told her that if she asked! I love to eat.....I just don't liek a lot of different foods. What I do eat taste great. I personally just think my taste buds are different.
Vullcan - Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:01 pm

Gracie wrote:

Its really nice to know someone is like me, thanks for posting!

Although your problem doesnt seem to be as bad as mine, because my problem is seriously affecting my health...I have VERY little energy and im tired ALL the time :(

At tea/dinner time my ENTIRE diet consists of 7-10 times, which im sure yours is atleast twice that size too.

It really bugs me too, then even though im 2 months off 18, people still think im just being a fussy child!
MissNurseM - Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:10 am

Trying to MAKE you eat something will not fix the situation & trying to determine why....thats something I personally do not know the answers to, maybe a nutrionist would though...

There are many ways that you can take WHAT you like, along w/supplements to make it work for you though. My sister for example, she is a dairy freak, lol. She loves cheese & eats cheese products all the time, forgetting about other important things such as meat, veggies, etc. The way that we eventually were able to get her to eat properly was to make more of the cheese fetish & get her off the same mundain meal (mac & cheese). We started to switch it up w/other things like cheese bread, melted cheese on vegetables, meats cooked in sauces like alfredo chicken, etc. That, along w/a daily supplement did her wonders. She is now no longer under weight & is doing very well.

I would suggest looking into nutrional counseling. There you will be given many reciepe & other ideas to help widen the amount of foods avail to you.

Best of Luck :)

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.