doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: tongue disturbance

elliemay - Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:01 pm

Can someone please tell me what this is? For the last several months I have had this strange marking on my tongue. It doesn't stick up, but it is a different color (red just a bit). It is on the tip, kind of to the left and in a spiral shape. It is hard to explain the shape, at first I just thought it was round like a cheerio. Anyway every couple of weeks it goes kind of numb like I have burned it and I get a real soapy taste in my mouth. It only lasts a few days and then goes away. Does anyone have any ideas???? Thanks in advance.
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:05 am

Dear Elliemay,

I think that this could be part of the normal degeneration and regeneration of the tongue but a little bit too fast.

On the other hand, it could be abnormal. I recommend that you pay a visit to your doctor to take a look at it when it is at its peak.

This could be either an abnormal exaggeration of the normal degeneration and regeneration of the tongue or could be a fungal infection even though the description is a little atypical.

Do you have any sharp tooth that is constantly rubbing against this part of your tongue and be the cause of this reaction by causing continuous irritation of the tongue at this specific point? This could the culprit.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
elliemay - Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:03 pm

Thank you Dr. Mokhtar,

I had no idea that the tongue had degeneration and regeneration phases. That is interesting. I have tried to research my issue on the internet and I don't really know what to look for. I would like to see some images of other "tongue disturbances" to compare. I do not have any teeth that constantly touch the area. It is on the left side of the tip of my tongue about the circumfrance of a dime. If you can picture a line a bit line thicker than thread that makes an incomplete circle. That would be what it looks like. It is baerly raised to where sometimes I don't think it is at all, but I can still tell that it is there because it has a type of sensation like it was burnt, but w/o pain. Do you know what kind of doctor I should see? I do not have a primary.

Also you mentioned that it could be a fungal infection. Can you get ringworm on your tongue. It possibly looks like that. I have had ringworm several times. I get it easily.

Thanks again in advance.
jada - Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Like elliemay, I have been searching the internet for my symptoms--and elliemay's come as close as anything I've seen.

I moved into a new house about a year ago, and at first I thought I was having allergic symptoms to the house--but there was no Itchy eyes or sneezing. The main symptom was this numb / burned feeling on my tongue, accompanied by a few red marks on the tongue--and like elliemay, occasionally a circular red mark on the tip (about the size of a dime) and a soapy taste in my mouth.

In addition, I feel dizzy (actually wobbly, not just lightheaded) a lot. Also, my tongue sensation is almost daily, not every few weeks or months.

So, I would be interested to know whether elliemay was diagnosed and treated (or cured!). Or does anyone have any other suggestions for what this might be? (FYI, I am also an Insulin-dependent diabetic.)

Thanks for any and all help (and thank you, elliemay, for letting me know I'm not the only one with this weird tongue sensation!!).
rozebud - Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:45 am

Hi
Can anyone help me Please, I went to the dentist to make a filling and the dentist said to me to have my wisdom tooth out and I said ok so two week after I had my filling I went in to have my wisdom tooth out, I was in pain after but thats not why Im writing here two weeks after that my toung was stinging and burning so I went to the dentist and he said all ok, but I was not so happy about that so I went to the Dr and he said I had a virous so he gave me this stuff to paint my tounge the burning has gone but now I feel the side of my toung not write feels a bit swallen as my speech is not all the same and I have this metal taste. I am a person that looks after my self. and I ahve been taking care of cleaning my teeth 3 times a day + mouth wash and also been doing salt and water rinse too. Do I go back to the Dr or the dentist. I have been with these mough problems for the past 6 week from when I took my wisdom tooth out.
Thanks In Advance

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.