The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Primary Care Answers List

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: tonsilitis associated with cocaine use?

susanna818 - Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:50 am

Hello.
my name is susanna and this is the first time ive come here. im a little embarassed. I did some cocaine last night and drank pretty heavily and today my tonsils are inflammed and in pain. Ive only done cocaine once before so I don't know "typical" side effects. I ve been searching online and havent found anything linking the two. What makes me think there is a strong correlation is that I used my right nostril and my right tonsil is worse. Also, Ive never had my tonsils do this before. I feel ill but probably mostly hangover (right?) Any info about tonsilitis out there?
Dr. Russell M - Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:50 pm

Hi!

I am unaware of any association between cocaine sniffing and tonsillitis. Some warm saline gargle should help with the inflammation. But in case of Fever, pain, difficulty swallowing you may consult your doctor.

bill

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us