The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers
"The information provided
on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the
relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her
Primary Care Answers List
Question: Ear Piercinb
- Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:22 pm
I got my ears pierced a week and 2 days ago. I have never had my ears pierced before. My left ear lobe is sensitive but not as bad as my right. My right ear lobe is slightly swollen and is tender. Is this normal, if not what do I do? And if this is normal, how long will it last?
|Carolyn Merritt, LPN
- Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:02 pm
Did you have the ear pierced by a professional or was it done by a friend or at home? Were hypoallergenic posts used?
Are you wearing a post in the affected ear or a wire? It is very easy for infection to develop in newly pierced ears because the area is closed tightly against a post earring allowing no air to reach the area so bacteria has a warm moist area to thrive in. Keeping the area clean is mandatory. Use Hydrogen Peroxide often to clean the ear lobe and dry throughly. You might try using a hypoallergenic wire earring instead of a post and turning the wire several times a day to prevent it from sticking to the skin. If you see any pus like material coming from the opening you will need to go to the doctor for an Antibiotic.
Check a doctor's response to similar questions
to a friend