Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Cracked Mouth Corners, Sore Tongue

lchip - Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:38 am

Over the last few days, I've woken up with cracked mouth corners. I've never had anything like this before. I believe I recently had a yeast infection, and I was wondering if this was related (because I read somewhere online that the cracked mouth corners could be caused by the same kind of thing..).

Also, my tongue has been sore. At first I thought it was due to the fact that I may have bitten it, or some other oral-related injury, but it's been sore now for a few weeks, mainly in the back, and it keeps moving from side to side. I was wondering if these two could be related, and if not, what could be causing my tongue problems.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:55 am

Dear ichip,
Oral ulcers are common and occur at times of stress when the body's immunity decreases. Given your history of Depression it could well be the cause. It would be a combination of things really: lowered immunity combined with the oral injury.

Yeast infection (candida) is common in diabetics and those taking broad spectrum Antibiotics. They could happen to anyone. If you still have them they should be checked out. Your doctor will prescribe an oral antifungal gel and rule out any underlying cause.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.