doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat pain

firegirlred - Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:22 am

Over the past several months, my throat has started hurting without warning. Not the cold and Cough feeling, but a painful lump where my neck meets my jaw (medial), with difficulty swallowing and talking (muscle pain almost). It's not constant but occurs about twice a month with no clear reason. I've ignored it for several months, but now I'm getting worried-my thyroid was tested a few months ago during a yearly physical and it was normal. What is going on, and where do I start looking for information.

Red
Dr. Russell M - Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:40 pm

Hi!

Have you noticed the occurance of your problems to coincide with stress? Is there a definite mass that you can feel in that area of your neck? Do you have tooth problems? Enlarged Lymph nodes in that area can also present when inflammation or infection around the area sets in.

bill
firegirlred - Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:36 pm

HI Bill-Thanks for your response. There is a bb sized mass-it's what is tender-I feel stupid going to the doctor-just want to know whats going on without seeming like a hypochondriac. Yesterday it seemed to grow worse during an extended exposure to gasoline fumes, not sure if it's the cause, or something I did earlier in the day. I'm a firefighter, so the stress doesn't exactly let up, but it doesn't seem related. At first I figured I was straining those muscles while I was working out, but that's not what has happened recently. No tooth probs, just allergies to the *!7$%@ Texas Cedar. Also I have swollen tonsils-since around march-no cold or flu, and not any other symptoms other than what I've described.
Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:07 am

Hi!

A swollen tonsil is nothing but lymph tissue enlargement. Infections and inflammations can cause the tonsil to enlarge, and the spread of it can make other nodes of the neck to enlarge too, like you have now. The allergy you have could be exacerbated by the gasoline exposure, which could trigger the inflammatory response from your lymphatic tissue.

Quote:
Japanese cedar allergy found that pollinosis (as manifested by symptoms of allergic rhinitis isolated to the cedar pollen season, and confirmed in individuals seeking medical care by allergy skin and blood tests) was higher among residents living near heavily trafficked roads lined with cedars than in residents living in cedar forests without traffic congestion (Ishizaki 1987). Though these results are striking, they should be considered suggestive, as the researchers didnít control for some important confounders. A number of studies indicate that DEPM can induce immunological allergic reactions as well as localized inflammatory responses in humans (Diaz-Sanchez et al., 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000; Terada et al., 1997, Takenaka et al., 1995). Diaz-Sanchez et al. (1997, 1999) found that in allergic human subjects, nasal IgE antibody response and allergic inflammation were enhanced by co-exposure to diesel particulate matter.

An interesting study connecting cedar allergy and gasoline happened to be hit on a routine google search, which you might find good to know.

Hope this helps.

bill
Julie Silvestro - Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:23 am

Did you find an answer? I have had pain on the left front part of my neck hurts when I stretch my neck up. I feel stupid, my husband can't feel anything. I think I feel a little knot. I am lost and don't really want to go to the doctor. Any help?

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.