Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Strabismus: how to prevent scarring? Is laser use possible?

voronoi62 - Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:56 pm

I had a number of operations correcting strabismus. Five on my left eye and two on the right.
It was so many because the first attempt was unsuccessful and the second caused extensive scarring of the eye globe surface.
Current condition is a scar at the bottom of my left eye that joins together eye globe awith the surrounding fat tissue lining inner eye socket.

I am looking for every possible way to disjoin the eye globe and the fat and if possible to remove the mass of the scar and still to have them separate after everything heals.
To my knowlegde nobody claims that he/she can do it. When a surgeon uses a knife, always a new mass of scar if formed that welds together eye with the eye socket severley limiting eye mobility.

In this letter I am trying to ask the ophtalmologists' community if an ophtalmic laser can be used in order to separate tissues. If anybody know if a laser can be used for this purpose at all, and how the healing goes on. Is there any lower probability of the scar formation after the surgery? Is there a chance that the touching surfaces of the eye and the surrounding fat will stay separated?
Dr. Russell M - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:55 pm

I am afraid your question is beyond my expertise, although I am in touch with our ophthalmologist for some answers. I shall post it as soon as I get a message from him.

Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:33 pm

This is the comment I received from the university ophthalmologist where I work:

"Unfortunately, there is no such ophthalmic laser in use for this type of surgery... but am certain that all would say that prognosis for further surgeries is poor."

Hope this helps.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.