Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: teeth grinding

cheriemonty - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:21 pm

I grind my teeth at night, because of this my jaw is usually stiff and cracks a lot. My dentist says I need a special mouth guard that costs $500. Would wearing a sports guard at night help?
ttlewis - Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:54 pm

I was grinding/clinching my teeth at night and sometimes during the day. Doctor believes it is a type of nervous/Anxiety thing. (I recently got my braces taken off and wear a clear retainer to bed) I asked my doctor what I should do and told me to start wearing the retainer more often - as a type of mouth/teeth guard. A clear retainer is very comfortable and you can wear it during the day without notice. The reason I mention this is because wearing a sports mouth piece can be somewhat unfortable plus it is hard to talk in one (should you want to answer the phone or talk to someone after putting in the mouth piece.

My mother has the same problem of grinding her teeth and tried wearing a sports mouth piece and found it to be bothersome and finally broke down and bought the expensive $500 mouth piece. In opposition, I paid half the cost and got a clear retainer from my dentist.

hope this helps
cheriemonty - Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I will probably end up getting the $500 mouth piece too.
courage - Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:43 pm

I also grind my teeth. I heard about the mouth piece from the dentist but never knew it would cost so much...that seems a bit expensive! Oh well...I guess it's better to pay now than have a lot of damage done later.

Thanks for posting this

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.