Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Advice Needed!

redpepper - Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Im interested in becoming a doctor, and having stayed in hospital recently I very keen to work in a hospital environment in the future. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on Alevels to take and anything I could do to ensure a place in medical school. Also if I would be interested to know anyones experiences of working in a hospital.
Thanx :lol:
Marissa x
saif - Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi Marissa,

I am pleased you wish to become a doctor. It is a very rewarding, if also a very demanding profession, and hope that you are able to fulfill your ambitions.

Most Universities require science at A level. The order of preference at A level is generally felt to be Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics. If your A'levels includes three of these then you will stand a good chance. The grdes you reqire generally are at least one A and a couple of Bs. However you just need to show (according to your GCSEs and your teachers report) the potential to reach these grades to get an offer. Certainly at GCSE you would have to have sciences, mathematics and English, and perhaps something that suggest a breadth of knowledge.

If you apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they have their own tests that bypass the A'level to some extent.

Other critical factors that you can do to make yourself a better candidate, in any field really, are things like Edinburgh Awards, or Volunteering, or an expertise in Computing etc. This helps the selectors sort out the huge numbers of applicants that try for Medicine.

This way is effectively the fast track for getting into medicine, and the way the vast majority . If you wish there are alternative pathways, and I am happy to discuss this with you if you want. However my one advice is that if you wish to get into Medicine, get into it for the right reasons, and go into it with yor eyes open. Medicine can be stressful, and a lot of hard work both in the University studying, and afterwards trying to carve a career for yourself. It is however a very rewarding, prestigious and I believe, honourable profession.

redpepper - Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:18 pm

Dr. Saif

Thank you so much for your response and for taking the time to answer. I have found your advice most helpful and it has inspired me to work hard and pursue my chosen career of medicine.

Best wishes

Marissa :D
saif - Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:54 pm

Dear Red Pepper,

Good luck, hope to be working with you once you become one of our colleagues!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.