doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Lump in center of Throat.

MountainLyon - Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:14 am

Hello, just found this forum in a search about my symptoms. Iím a 28 year old man and I have a visible lump in the center of my throat above my Adamís apple and about the same size. It does not move with the skin so it is underneath the skin and actually on my throat. It often makes a popping sound when I swallow unless I clear my throat or am actually swallowing something. If I put my fingers on it when I swallow I can feel the popping motion.

I thought it was a reaction to an Antibiotic, sulfamethoxazole/TMP DS tabs. The problem with my throat started right at that time. I told my doc and discontinued the med but he didnít check my throat. That med does show Öďlump in throat (goiter)ĒÖ as a possible side effect, but the doc basically shrugged it off and said that I donít have thyroid problems. Also a goiter would be below the Adamís apple, instead of above, correct? I read a description of a goiter being butterfly shaped, and my lump does have a symmetrical shape with a notch in the top, like between two wings. That was a month ago and I thought it was getting slightly better, or I was ignoring it until today when it seemed more sore, slightly constricted and the popping was worse. (On the weekend, of course!)

Other symptoms that may or may not be relevant: Mild Fever, 99 even. One tonsil looks ever so slightly larger than the other. Iíve had a plugged ear for more than six months and the gland just in front of the ear has been slightly swollen the whole time. The doc has looked at it twice and says thereís no infection, and to take decongestants. Iíve used ear cone candles to remove a huge amount of earwax and itís still not right. I figure if the lump in my throat is not a reaction to the medication, maybe it has something to do with my ear?
Dr. Russell M - Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:04 pm

Hi!

What is your doctor's opinion as to the lump in your throat?

bill
Hopeful110670 - Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi Bill:

I would be curious if you ever found out what was causing this problem? I am in the same boat and would love to hear your diagnoses or a doctors opinion on this matter!

Ali
princemuz - Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:35 pm

Goiter: Swollen neck thyroid gland

Goiter: A swollen thyroid is called a goiter. Most goiters are caused by not enough iodine in the diet. Iodine is a substance found in shellfish and iodized salt. 1

see more at : Click here!

bye
jaime4297 - Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:30 am

hi I am in the same boat as you also, well almost, I too just stumbled upon this site looking up lump in throat..lol. only I don;t actually have a lump I have a clicking "popping" sound on swallowing. Now mine does not happen when I am eating or at least I can not notice it.
I went to my Doc with this, he had said he thought it was caused by some kind of inflammation in my throat. Mine is on the side of my neck, where my glands are. and if I press on the spot the clicking will stop. I feel nuts...lol
Anyway I also went to a ears nose and throat specialist who looked down my throat using an endoscope and did not see anything.
If you have any ideas or get any new info let us know. something to come on so suddenly, without ever having anything like it before worries me.
thanks and good luck to you

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.