doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Wanting to become a doctor!

TheShoelessWonder - Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:18 am

I'm a senior in high school and have been an aspiring doctor since I was very little. I can't even remember making the conscious decision to become one and there are no doctors in my family. I have two cousins who are recent biochem majors, but otherwise, I would be the first scientist. My family all have high hopes for me and are worried that my grades might be indicative of my success, or lack thereof.

First, I have to say that I am a student in the Full IB (International Baccalaureate) program, which is even more stringent and rigorous than AP. Thus, it is understood that my grades may not be A level, but still make an equivalent A+ in other science classes. That being said, I took Introductory Bio in freshman year and got an A both semesters. Then I took Introductory Chem and got an A- and B+. Then I took Inorganic Chemistry and got a B and a C+ (yikes inorganic is hard!), and now I am in Organic Chemistry and have a B+ or so.

I realize this won't bear too heavily on my medical school applications in the future, if at all, but I was just wondering if there is anyone who would think this could be a good, bad, or mediocre indicator of my potential to become a doctor.
Kirsty_Oz - Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:09 am

I am assuming you are from the united states?

what is the process of gettg into medicine at uni.....?

here in australia you have to get pretty much a perfect ENTER (equivalent national teritary entrance rank) have studied, physics, chem and specialist maths AND complete a pre med exam... all before your even selected.

IB is good because it always pushes you to aim high!
gemma-kirstie - Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 am

hi!

im 19 and have only just decided I want to be a doctor. however, I only have maths and science at grade c at gcse. how can I still become one? im am sort of at a dead end. can anyone help?

Gemma-Kirstie
xela950 - Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Just to let the person with the IB know that I did the full IB with Bio, Chem and English A1 at higher level and maths methods, physics and french at standard and I am currently studying medicine (I'm a newbie in my first year!) I think that the IB more than prepares you for the course because so much of it is finding answers for yourself rather than other diplomas which just teach you how to pass the exams. Good luck finding a med school!!
xela950 - Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:21 pm

Oh and to gemma-kirstie, you could always to a access to medicine course, a few people on my course have done them and I think some give you a guaranteed interview at the local university, but don't quote me on that! I lived in West Sussex once! It's lovely. Good luck, I know how it feels when all you want to do is study medicine.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.