doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: tingling ears???

Schitzo - Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:48 am

I noticed in the last month or so, that the insides of both my ears (right on the outer edge of the canal) tingle. The only way I can describe it, is as if someone is tickling it with the tip of a feather. The weird thing is that, sometimes one ear will tingle, then the other, and then sometimes they'll both tingle at the exact same moment. I told my doc about this, he looked at my ears, said all was fine. I also think he might have thought I was a bit nuts...

I've also noticed in the past little while a sore spot on my tongue for about the same time I've had the tingling ears. It's on the right side, and it's a bit red, you can definately see the area that's sensitive. It almost looks as if it's real smoothe, and has no taste buds on it.. In the past couple days I've noticed that my neck is sore (both sides) along the anterior cervical Lymph nodes.

The only thing I can think that links all this is the whole Ear / Nose / Throat connection. Any ideas what might be wrong with me? or am I just really going nuts.

-S
Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi!

The cranial nerves supplying your throat do supply some of the ear. A typical outcome of these connections is how some people Cough while cleaning their ears with a Q-tip or something similar. The brain senses the Q-tip sensation as coming from the throat, and tries to clear the throat producing the Cough. Similarly, your inflammation of the throat could be sensed as a tickle in the ear. As your rightly commented, the ears, nose, and throat are connected in more than one ways.

bill

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.