The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: tingling ears???

Schitzo - Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:48 am

I noticed in the last month or so, that the insides of both my ears (right on the outer edge of the canal) tingle. The only way I can describe it, is as if someone is tickling it with the tip of a feather. The weird thing is that, sometimes one ear will tingle, then the other, and then sometimes they'll both tingle at the exact same moment. I told my doc about this, he looked at my ears, said all was fine. I also think he might have thought I was a bit nuts...

I've also noticed in the past little while a sore spot on my tongue for about the same time I've had the tingling ears. It's on the right side, and it's a bit red, you can definately see the area that's sensitive. It almost looks as if it's real smoothe, and has no taste buds on it.. In the past couple days I've noticed that my neck is sore (both sides) along the anterior cervical Lymph nodes.

The only thing I can think that links all this is the whole Ear / Nose / Throat connection. Any ideas what might be wrong with me? or am I just really going nuts.

-S
Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi!

The cranial nerves supplying your throat do supply some of the ear. A typical outcome of these connections is how some people Cough while cleaning their ears with a Q-tip or something similar. The brain senses the Q-tip sensation as coming from the throat, and tries to clear the throat producing the Cough. Similarly, your inflammation of the throat could be sensed as a tickle in the ear. As your rightly commented, the ears, nose, and throat are connected in more than one ways.

bill