doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Lump in my throat

heather25 - Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:04 pm

For about the last 2 months I have had problems with a lump in my throat (around the area the adam's apple is located). Sometimes it's bigger than other times and more painful, especially when I try to swallow anything, even liquids. I feel tired a lot and there's times during the day when my body feels weak and shaky all over. Right now my throat isn't swelled up much and though it isn't real painful, as long as I swallow carefully, it is bothersome. When I first had problems with it, I had went to my Dr. for other reasons, but didn't say anything cause I also had a sore throat and thought it had something to do with that. Because of the size of my neck he had asked if I had thyroid problems (which I guess I don't... have also had other Dr.'s comment on it), he checked my neck but wasn't real concerned, so I decided at the time not to have a blood test. Because of the lump, I just recently had a blood test for my thyroid and it was 1. 11, which I was told was normal. I also have a fairly high pulse rate, ranging anywhere between mid 120's to 140ish. I had told my Dr. about this and he wasn't too concerned, because I have been having a bad flare-up with Crohn's, he thought it may have something to do with that. Is it possible that I could have a lump on my thyroid and it not show up in the blood test? Any other ideas what this may be?
Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:27 am

Hi heather,
The lump in the throat feeling can be caused by a number of reasons. Labwork for the thyroid shows an over active or underactive thyroid but would not indicate if there were an actual lump. Since your symptoms seem to be persisting, I would suggest that you see your family doctor so that you can be evaluated by some other tests. Your consistently elevated heart rate needs to be evaluated as well because 120's-140's seems certainly abnormal to me, even with Chron's disease.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.