Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Difficulty following exercise and insomnia

Jan - Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:32 am

Hello. I have spent the last four years practicing wellness to overcome something that is kind of like chronic fatigue. I am much better now because I have worked hard at improving my health, but two problems remain which I have been unable to resolve.

Insomnia -- I wake up at 3 a. m. with palpitations and tension, and cannot fall back asleep for 3 hours. Then I can sometimes sleep for a little while. I also experience the palpitations sometimes when I am trying to fall asleep, but this is not a major issue. Stress makes the insomnia worse.

Problems after exercising -- The last two times I did strength training (minimal - four machines for 1 minute each), about 3 hours after exercising, I became very cold, tense, and it seemed like there was some kind of spasm in my right abdomen just around or below the liver. The energy was cut off to my upper body. The palpitations and tension were strong. What finally ended this episode was drinking hot herbal tea, which seemed to relax my liver.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? The main clue I have to go on is about 7 years ago, under a doctor's care, I took some pregnenolone. It caused palpitations, which increased with more pregnenelone, and which did not go away after I stopped taking it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on the subject. Any comments are welcome and will receive my due consideration. I would like to be able to sleep and exercise.

Best wishes,
Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:24 pm

How were you diagnosed with autonomic dysregulation previously? Was the right-abdominal 'spasm' an isolated event?

Jan - Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:27 am

Thanks, Bill.

An informal diagnosis of "dysautonomia" (autonomic dysregulation) was given by a retired holistic md friend of mine. It has improved greatly, except for the insomnia.

The right side spasms first originated following a liver flush. They continued intermittently, and were not helped by two more liver flushes, nor by acupuncture, chinese herbs, or typical liver AIDS like alpha lipoic acid or castor oil packs. B12, Vitamin C and Iron, and N-A-C helped the liver restore normalcy. Then, however, the right side spasms started again following a very small amount of strength training/exercise.

Best wishes,
Jan - Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:28 am

Dear Bill and others,

I'm looking forward to your responses. I am also interested in any reading recommendations you might be able to offer for my problem.

Jan - Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:27 pm

I'm really looking forward to anyone's reply. Thanks so much, Jan
Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:31 pm

You seem to have followed alternative medicines, which I am little aware of. Have you been to a regular MD with your problems? If so, what is your doctor's opinion? If not, I suggest you visit your doctor to be examined.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.