doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Finding a Job

Question: Staying up at night, and sleeping during the day

NightOwl - Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:45 pm

Someone may have already posted a message like this, but I just need some advice on what to do, for some reason I like to stay up late it ranges from sometimes 12-like around 3or4am and I'll sleep all morning until 3pm has been my latest I slept in, and after I get up around that time, I don't feel very energetic, but not sleepy, I have Headaches and my eyes really hurt bad, I end up having lines under them, I'm 20 years old, I don't understand why I'm having this problem, please help me on what to do, I want to sleep again at night;this has been happening for a long time now.........thank you I appreciate it if you responded
Emerald - Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:16 am

Dear NightOwl,
Nights are for sleeping and Days for working. You say that you don't feel energetic after getting up in the afternoon. This is because the Hormore Cortisol , responsible for making the body able to bear most stress and strains of the day, has its highest concentrations in the morning and lowest in the evening. So naturally you don't feel at your best with low levels of Cortisol.
Also you don't feel sleeping because you still are getting enough sleep, although not at an appropriate time.
You did not mention the reason for your being a Night Owl. Is it work, TV, internet or what?
Changing habits takes time. The best way in my opinion is that try not to sleep for 24 hours straight. Then try to sleep at night around 10 pm. In this way since you wil be really sleepy ( cause you have not slept for the last 24 hours), there are great chances that you will got to sleep.
Do not sleep at 3-4 am even if you are really sleepy. Try to sleep at night.
I hope that helps. Do tell your progress. I'll be glad to know.
tata - Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:33 am

Hi
I have this kind of sitiation too. And it makes me very worried about my health and performance. The reason of my not sleeping during tha days is work. And after work I am going to study at the university. So usually I sleep from 18-00 to 0:00 (6 hours). Could you please write what kind of problems can cause this way of sleeping. Thank you in advance

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.