doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: lip piercing

agentyandu - Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:29 am

I wanna get my lip pierced I just want to know what is the risk of it. a few of my friends have offered to do it is that safe. they have down it a few times before?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:07 pm

Dear agentyandu,
Here at The Doctors Lounge, we do not recommend lip piercing. Lip piercing may be associated with several hazards. If you have a bleeding tendency disease that has not been diagnosed yet then you risk bleeding to a dangerous degree. There is always the possibilty of infection at the site of trauma. More dangerously, there is a risk of a slow infection that slowly enters the blood stream and silently causes damage of the heart valves and could later lead to Stroke. There are cases 'bacterial endocarditis' that have been recorded after lip piercing.
anzac - Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:04 am

G'day. im a 16 year male with braces and im wanting to get my lip pierced. I was wondering if it possible to get my lip peirce with a ring not a stud, and still have my braces on and with out them rubbing against each other?

Also people say with oral piercings there is a chance of it rubbing against your gum line and over time it can receed.....true? but it is mostly said with studs.....what about rings?

Thanks.
Acrobat - Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:20 am

wow don't get your friend to do it whatever you do! Someone at school I know had their ear pierced by their friend and it was a right mess.... all swollen up and septic and horrible. Imagine if that was your lip. Atleast he could just put a band aid on it and wait for it to heal.
BiteMe69 - Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:16 am

Hey :D
What will happen if I get my tongue pierced before I get braces...will I have to take out the tongue piercing or will it b okay to kepp it in with braces :?:

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.