doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: exhausted & cannot lose weight no matter how much I exer

sick&tired - Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:36 pm

Can someone please help me!! A few years ago I went to my doctor with complaints of constant fatigue so bad that I could not function, debilitating periods(I can't leave the house), pain that feels like bruises on my legs and arms, bee sting sensations on my shoulders and neck, hair falling out, and well, pretty much all the symptoms of Hypothyroidism. My TSH levels were checked and I was told they were in the normal range but could be considered slightly elevated. My prolactin levels were very high, but I don't have a prolactinoma. My thyroid is slightly enlarged and I am increasingly depressed mostly because I am thirty pounds overweight, and I go to the gym every day for three months and I have not lost a single pound. I am constantly bloated and it is painful and and I am so tired all the time that I can't do every day tasks. I was put on an Antidepressant that made me gain more weight, and 25 mcg of levoxyl which made no difference in the way I felt except for the first time I could actually sweat but the tingling in my feet and hands was still there and my thumbs were still going numb. At eight weeks after diagnosis, I went in for bloodwork and explained that I didn't feel better, I was told that my dose of levoxyl would remain the same because I was in the normal range. What can I do? Why can't anyone help me to feel better? I am literally at the end of my rope.
dkgsyndrome - Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:35 pm

Your situation is similar to mine. I had all of the classic symptoms of Hypo they did blood tests but my TSH were elevated. I was put on Synthroid which didn't change any of my symptoms but since my levels dropped nothing was done. I was actually pulled off when the levels dropped to 1. 5. Still I did not and do not feel any different. I commend you for going to the gym like you did. I am extremely tired and I sound like I ran a marathon if I walked to the mailbox or up our stairs. I tried exercising 6 times a week and completely changed my eating habits and after 4 weeks I couldn't even stay up at work so I had to stopped. I lost no weight at all. But there is a silver lining; my doctors sent me to take some sleep tests and they showed that I am excessively sleepy (Idiopathic hyperinsomnia) so I was placed on Provigil 400mg and Adderall Xr 20 mg. Am I still sleepy? yes, do I have any energy to exercise or do anything still? no, but I have lost 20 lbs within the last 2 months. Also ask your doctor to check your B12, cortisol, Acth, TPO, Estradiol, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, C02, Free T3 and Free T4 levels. my B12 were low so I was given an injection. B12 injections also help you lose weight you can't take a B12 pill, it must be in liquid form. My cousin bought the B12 liquid from GNC for 7 dollars. She's lost 4 lbs already within 2 weeks. I know it's not a lot of weight but if you don't have the energy like me, what do you do?
sick&tired - Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the advice! I will make an appointment to see my doctor about the tests and the shot. Right about now I will try anything. I think my family suffers more than I do because I'm not the person I once was. Good luck to you and your cousin!
Gracie - Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Could it be chronic fatigue syndrome?
give me a break! - Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:06 pm

Hello sick & tired!

Lordy mercy was I relieved to hear I am not alone!! I have gained over 45 pounds and no amount of dieting and exercise have worked. I was put on some prolactin medication for a month. Then taken off. My prolactin levels seem to fluctuate. I too am tired. I had my ts levels, calcium, and other levels all checked. They were normal. I am sick of fad diets and diet pills. The Hoodia was a joke!! Lord knows I have tried them all!!! Just know your not alone out there! :D
fat2swole - Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:08 am

I want to ask everyone first off what exact diets they were on and workout routine. there are so many different ones out there, since everyone is different, so it might be because you havent found one that worked for you.

also, to the one that was taking diet pills, what exactly where you taking, abusing any sort of thyroid regulator could cause potential problems to your thyroid gland which will cause you to literally gain weight while you sit and do nothing.

get off the anti-depressents, EVERYONE! those things are evil.

the shot of B12 that the person above received from the doctor is human grade, liquid b12 from GNC is not the same thing, the 4 lbs was most likely from a placebo effect.

stress is your biggest obsticle, since cortisol is a stress hormone, which causes people to gain weight. control your stress would be a first step I recommend. second thing I would recommend would be to search the internet for fat loss message boards and research on the different REAL diets out there and read other people's diet logs so you can get a jist of what its all about. its more then just eating the correct foods and exercising. even though thats an important step to take. and lastly be patient, some people are just genetically programed to oxidize fat cells quicker then other people.
lori - Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi I Am 39 Yrs Old We Reciently Moved & I joined A Gym. IQuit Smoking Two Months Ago. I do Have A Thyroid problem (Hypo ). I Have Been Excerising 4 to 5 Days A Week & Instead of Loosing Weight I Am Gainning Weight. My Father Pased Away Young (40 )From Heart Diease & My Mother Pased Away (71) From Pancreatic Cancer. I Have Neurogenic Problems Related To Three Back Surgeries From A Few Years Ago & Use Blood Pressure Medicine 4mg Cardora daily To Help Regulate Neuro Problem. I Haven't Changed My Diet Since Begining To Excercise. I Had Gained 40Lb Before Discovering Thyroid problem, & I Can't Afford To Gain Much More Because We Are Going To Try IVF in A Few Months & My Back Won't Be Able To Handle All The Extra Weight. Do You Have Any Suggestions For Me Or Any tests That You Can Suggest To Me To Ask A New PCP To Order ??

Thanks So Much For Any Help You Can Give !
Lori[/b]

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.