doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Constant Clearing of the Throat

jacksonusa - Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:49 am

Last January (2004) I quit smoking for about a month. During that month, the air got real dry being it is in the middle fo winter. I also worked in a lab which had real dry air. I started getting this feeling in the throat where I had to clear it all the time. I could clear up some junk, which was sometimes clear and other times was not. Some times, there would be nothing that came up. I finally went and saw and ENT doctor and after examining my throat, he said there was nothing wrong. A nurse had told me prior to that that it sounded like I could have throat cancer. The doctor said no, everything was fine. It finally went away and only a few times since then did it come back.

Now, for the past 3 months it has come back pretty regularly and over the past monht it has been constant. Sometimes I Cough stuff up and other times, just clear my throat but most of the time, I can get something to come up. This has me troubled and I think it is more than just dry air irritating my throat. It feels like my throat is coated with something. The stuff I Cough up is not phlegm and it doesn't come up from out of my lungs but only my throat. I've tried Vitamin C drops, Cough drops, just about everything to try and see if my throat was dry. I've even gargled with warm salt water and usually have a humidifier in my room as I sleep but nothing seems to relieve this.

Any and all replies with ideas or remedies would greatly be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

P. S. This makes it difficult at times to try and sing which I tend to do from time to time since I'm in a band. But like I said, this just started last year out of the blue which I originally thought was dry air. I also don't think It's caused by any other air irritants as I'm not really around any of those.

Thanks.
spencersmummy - Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:30 am

Having to clear your throat quite a bit. I had that problem along with heart burn and such problems. Do you have heart burn more than 3 -4 times a week? DO you use Tums? TUMS?

I was diagnosed with Gerds (A version of really bad heart burn that over time can damage your throat and esphogeaus). I had to they were saying it was nothing so I went on with it for 2 yrs. I went to another doc and he told me I had severe damage to my esphogeaus Spelling?

If you think your doctor maybe overlooking something like this try another one. You know when you are looking for something and then someone else steps right in and says hey here it is?!

Katrina

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.