Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Dry mouth/eyes

mitch1973 - Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:41 am

Started about a week ago right about the time we turned on the heating system at our new rental house. At first I had excessive thirst, would always be thirsty no matter how much I drank...there was always a feeling of a parched mouth. After about 3 days of drinking tons of water, soda. milk whatever I decided that maybe it was the sugar in all those drinks that was making my dry mouth I switched to nothing but seltzer water about a gallon of it a day with maybe a pint or 2 of water during the day. I did this for 2 days and it gave me massive acid relux for which I took pepcid complete to get rid of it (I am still taking this). At this time I began to realize that I wasn't really thirsty..My stomach felt like it was packed with water (which is pretty much all I drink now) I figured It was the dry mouth that was making me think I was thirsty.

Anyways here I am 2 days later, still have a very dry mouth and now my eyes are starting to get slightly dry. I drink nothing but water and the occasional cup of caffine free root beer and the occasional glass of milk. My appetite is low as I have a hart time chewing, so I'am relegated to weak stews and soups. Also I havent turned on the heater in our home since the day after I got the dry mouth. its been almost a week with no heater.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :?
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi mitch1973,
In my opinion the heating in your home and your symptoms may be a coincidence, especially since they are persisting even though you are not using your heat.
My first thought when there is a complaint of unquenchable or unusual thirst is symptoms of Diabetes. Some of the symptoms of Diabetes are:
unusual thirst, excessive hunger, frequent urination, unusual weight loss, extreme fatigue or lack of energy, blurred vision, frequent or recurring infections, cuts and bruises that are slow to heal, tingling &/or numbness in hands &/or feet etc. I would strongly suggest an evaluation to rule this out, as well as any other anomolies.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.