doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Dry mouth/eyes

mitch1973 - Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:41 am

Started about a week ago right about the time we turned on the heating system at our new rental house. At first I had excessive thirst, would always be thirsty no matter how much I drank...there was always a feeling of a parched mouth. After about 3 days of drinking tons of water, soda. milk whatever I decided that maybe it was the sugar in all those drinks that was making my dry mouth worse...ao I switched to nothing but seltzer water about a gallon of it a day with maybe a pint or 2 of water during the day. I did this for 2 days and it gave me massive acid relux for which I took pepcid complete to get rid of it (I am still taking this). At this time I began to realize that I wasn't really thirsty..My stomach felt like it was packed with water (which is pretty much all I drink now) I figured It was the dry mouth that was making me think I was thirsty.

Anyways here I am 2 days later, still have a very dry mouth and now my eyes are starting to get slightly dry. I drink nothing but water and the occasional cup of caffine free root beer and the occasional glass of milk. My appetite is low as I have a hart time chewing, so I'am relegated to weak stews and soups. Also I havent turned on the heater in our home since the day after I got the dry mouth. ..so its been almost a week with no heater.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :?
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi mitch1973,
In my opinion the heating in your home and your symptoms may be a coincidence, especially since they are persisting even though you are not using your heat.
My first thought when there is a complaint of unquenchable or unusual thirst is symptoms of Diabetes. Some of the symptoms of Diabetes are:
unusual thirst, excessive hunger, frequent urination, unusual weight loss, extreme fatigue or lack of energy, blurred vision, frequent or recurring infections, cuts and bruises that are slow to heal, tingling &/or numbness in hands &/or feet etc. I would strongly suggest an evaluation to rule this out, as well as any other anomolies.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.