Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Vocal Nodule

Laxapatel - Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:02 am

My mother has a vocal nodule. Doctor says it is because she speaks too loudly because of the nature of the business she is in. Is this(nodule) something serious?

I want to know what is the best treatment for her.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Dear Laxa,

Vocal cord nodules are caused by continuous irritation to the vocal cords such as done by screaming, continuous low pitched voice and wrong techniques in singing.

Vocal cord nodules have certain characteristics that readily and easily identified by specialists. So, if you were told that these are vocal nodules, then I don't have a reason to suspect that they are otherwise.

Treatment for vocal cord nodules is initially always conservative with referral for voice therapy. Most patients respond after several sessions of voice therapy, but satisfactory improvement can take up to 12 to 18 months.

Surgery is reserved for rare cases that do not respond to voice therapy. Postoperative voice therapy, smoking cessation and acid reflux control are always indicated before and after surgical removal of nodules.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.