doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ringing ears & twitch

Alan - Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:45 am

I'm a med student and I'm probably being a hypochondriac but kinda worried.
I have a ringing in my ears which was initally brought on by loud music at a concert, I have had it for about a month, it's very high pitched and not very loud.
I was just going to ignore it because it seemed to be obviously caused by loud music.
But just tonight when I lay down in bed I believe that the ringing got louder and after lying on my back for a while felt a twitch in one of my neck muscles which continues until I sat up. Also felt a slight tingle in my face.

I'm feeling a bit paranoid that it's being caused by an enlarged blood vessle or something else putting pressure on a nerve and isn't just from the music. I'm not sure weather or not my own knowledge is causing me to notice things that are not there.

The ringing is in both ears if that helps.

Thanks for any ideas,

Alan
JynMeyer - Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:12 am

Well, I found this if your interested:

MedicineNet. com Link to this Article
Ringing in Ears
Symptoms & Signs Index

Together with other abnormal ear noises, ear ringing is medically called tinnitus. Buzzing, roaring, and pulsitile sounds are sometimes perceived when no sound is present in persons with tinnitus.

Tinnitus can arise in any of the four sections of the ear: the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear, and the brain. Tinnitus is often accompanied by hearing loss.

MedicineNet Main Article on Ringing in Ears
-Tinnitus
-Causes of Ringing in Ears
-Eustachian Tube Problems
-Meniere Disease

Other Causes of Ringing in Ears
-Ear infection
-Fluid in the ears
-Medications (both Prescription and Non-prescription, notably Aspirin and other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
-Aging (Presbycusis)
-Ear trauma (such as from the noise of planes, firearms, or loud music)
-Rarely, aneurysm or an acoustic neuroma (a benign tumor on the acoustic nerve).

You probably want to follow up on this, if you havent already. :-)
-Jyn

Alan wrote:

Thanks for any ideas,

Alan
[url][/url]
      [list=][/list]
      cgl88 - Mon May 02, 2005 12:06 pm

I've had the high pitched sound for 2 days after loud music from a club. It's May now and for you that's 4 months. Has the sound gone away?
      noitall101 - Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:42 am

Do you still have the ringing in your ears now? If I may ask what concer did you go to?

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
      We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
      Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.