The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Sore tongue and swelling

dempseysm14 - Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:04 pm

I am a 23 year old woman with some allergies. During the early evening last night, my tongue became sore and swollen. The sides of my tongue are the sorest, but my guess is that is due to brushing against my molars. My entire tongue is really red, and feels like it is burning. My only guess is it could be allergy related, but I don't think I ate anything I was allergic to yesterday. It is difficult to talk or to eat anything, but I have no other symptoms that I am aware of. Could anyone give me a little insight?

Thanks,
Stephanie :?
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:24 am

Hi Stephanie,
If an allergy to something has been essentially ruled out, have you had a recent Fever etc.? Also keep in mind that vitamin deficiencies etc. can also cause this problem and you may want to call your family physician to have any anomolies ruled out.