Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Where are all the Osteopaths at?!?!?!?

Osteopath-to-be - Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:10 am

I'm a recent graduate with a BA in microbiology and I am planning on applying to osteopathic schools. I am very interested in osteopathic medicine but am discouraged to find out that there are no real true-practicing osteopaths in my area. Anyone know of any "ten-fingered" osteopathic physicians anywhere in north Florida
MaximLA - Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:57 am

Hi im also interested in Osteopathy and it seems to be very shady and unpopular can anyone shed some light as to the abilities and job descriptions a DO vs an MD had?
lars1297 - Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 pm

I am currently an osteopathic med student and I can tell you the difference between MD's and DO's. When I applied to med school- I applied and was accepted to both allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) schools...and I chose to go osteopathic.
Since you are probably already aware of the general abilities of an MD, I'll just tell you that DO's can do EVERYTHING an MD can do..and MORE. DO's have all of the same rights to see patients, diagnose, prescribe medicine...everything. There is no difference or inferiority in that realm. I say that DO's can do more because we have a more "whole-person" view of medicine and because we also can use manipulative treatment to help patients feel better. Everything in the body is connected and oftentimes a medication is not necessary to make someone feel better... a simple adjustment to their body structure- whether it be bones, muscles, or other tissues... can heal the body just as well, if not better, than putting a medication into your body. This is not to say that we don't like meds or anything... but we try to use ALL the aspects of a person rather than just utilizing the physiology of a drug's mechanism in the body. Another example- if a patient comes into our office with a Headache...we are not just going to automatically prescribe a pill and send them on their way...we're going to talk to them, get to know them, and find out what else in their life might be causing the Headaches..I. e. stress, a misalignment of their body structures, etc... we don't just see a patient as a particular set of symptoms walking through the door... we see them as a person and try to treat them accordingly.
Hope this helps!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.