doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Studying Basic Sciences

Question: Passing out in Biology

GhettoSocks - Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:40 am

Ever since I was really little I always passed out whenever anything medical was mentioned (this site is dangerous for me). I've learned to control the passing out by walking outside and not thinking about it. I'm having a particularily hard time in Biology because of all of the references to blood, diseases and viruses. Today in class my teacher was talking about AIDS and I almost passed out. It's not that I'm grossed out, it comes without warning and all of a sudden I get light headed and my ears ring a bit. I've been wondering for a while now what could possibly be wrong with me. I may just have some psychological problem, but I have no idea where that came from. My mom and her dad are the same way, they can't see blood, look at shots, hear about diseases or sicknesses in any form, and if they read about something they get nausous just like me. It's strange, and I just don't know what to say about it. I want to get to the bottom of it because I just can't keep running out of class like I've been doing. Please help!!
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 am

Hi GhettoSocks,
I can certainly understand what your saying. Actually there were a couple of medical procedures which made me feel the same way and took some time for this to dissipate. This is actually a phobia, fear of an object, situation, event, etc. In many cases fear is a learned behavior. Fear/stressors cause symptoms such as feeling hot, sweaty, flushed, increases in heart rate, Nausea, dizziness, and fainting. Thoughts and feelings which create fear can initiate the fight or flight response in all of us. A potential threat or situation causes the release of adrenaline in our bodies which causes an immediate increase in heart rate, breathing, etc., which in turn causes even more adrenaline to be released. We can trick our bodies into a calm state by slowing the breathing down, which in turn slows down the heart rate which stops the release of adrenaline. If you could practice relaxation techniques to reduce the Anxiety when exposure to the situations occur, this may help resolve the problem. Here is a suggestion for a simple breathing technique called triangle breathing
1. Inhale for 3 SLOW seconds
2. HOLD IT for 3 SLOW seconds
3. Exhale completely for 3 SLOW seconds.
4. Repeat 3 times.
I hope you find this helpful.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.