doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: SEvere nosebleeds /possible sphenopalatine artery related

jodster - Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:23 pm

I could really use some guidance here. I posted about my bleeds a while back and have maybe come up with a cause. Was wondering if it sounds possible or if you have heard of this. I am tiring all other avenues here. Just a very brief history. I had my son in March 2003 and the next day started a series of severe posterior nosebleeds that lasted for 4 days before packing. After the packing they stopped. In June 2004 while 7 months pregnant with my daughter, I was hospitalized for a week for the same thing, although this time they were a lot worse and required transfusions. My nose was packed the first day but still bled thru for 4 days, mostly from the mouth. Docs, nurses and ENT's could not come up with diagnosis. Bloodwork done to check clotting, which was fine. In all the months I have been searching I think I may have come up with something. IT's a malformation of the spenopalatine artery, and when stressed by wacky hormones, can burst, causing profuse life threatening bleeding. I do not plan to have any other children but this can still affect you thru hormone difficulties, thyroid etcetc. I am wondering if you have heard of this or if it even seems possible before I bring it to my ENT's attention, although I wonder if they would not have thought of that. I am really in no position to wait for this to happen again and I understand that there is a ligation surgery to correct this artery. How serious is this condition, if thats what it is, and can it be treated successfully with surgery?? Any info would be appreciated. Thank You
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:44 am

HI again jodster,
Like I said in my previous post to you. Your ENT specialist will be able to tell the degree of malformation if present. I have not heard about the possibilities of hormone imbalance triggering off the bleeding. However, you do not seem to be suffering from any symptoms that would suggest the presence of a hormone imbalance. You can bring this up to your doctor and see what he has to say about this. Surgery can be successful for treating posterior nose bleeds whether the cause is a sphenopalatine malformation or not.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.