doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: becoming a doctor in the US

helen737 - Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Hopefully I'll be at medical school later this year, and was just wondering about the US system. . I'm interested in studying medicine in the UK then moving to the states. Does anyone know if this is a hard thing to do?
It seems really quite complicated to become a doctor in the states. Applying to medical school is very different from in england because most people apply straight after school- does everyone have to take a university course before you can apply to medical school in the states? Also we can only apply to maximum of 4 universities and I hear you can apply to loads in the US.
Anyway any advice on how to be a doc in the states after I graduate would be great.
Thanks!
anisarit - Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 am

All International Medical Graduates (IMGs) need to undergo certain things before licensure in the US. You must pass Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS (and Step 3 if you need a Visa). Then you can apply for residencies. It is, ofcourse mucfh more difficult to get a residency if you are an IMG, but definately doable, and even easy in some states (New York). If you need a Visa, it's a bit more difficult, so make sure you score very high. Some residency positions (Dermatology, Radiology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics) don't normally take IMGs and scores that are minimums for interviews would be in the high 90s (98, 99). If you can't get accepted in the States, do what you can and go through this procedure, but know the consequences attached.
Oh, study Kaplan!
Good Luck!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.