doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Studying Clinical Sciences

Question: Inquiry Concerning Emotional Injuries

Anonymous - Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:47 pm

Hello, my name is Marvin Ray Burns. I am an undergraduate student at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. I am preparing to give an Informative speech on the emotional dangers of traumatic events. One of the requirements of this speech is to conduct an online interview with a qualified person.

I hope that you will have time to reply to the following short query. I have just three requests.

1. Would you tell me how the potential emotional effect of traumatic events on individuals is diagnosed?
2. Can you tell me in what way are the effects traumatic events cumulative?
3. Can the emotional impact of crises be weighed against each other (for instance can people say that a death in the immediate family is more stressful than loosing a job)? Are there any statistics measuring the emotional effects of various stressful events that you can post or email to me?

marburns@iupui. edu
Anonymous - Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:51 pm

Dear Marvin ,
I am sorry I am not qualified in this branch of medicine however, I can tell u some general information from my readings and personal experience for the emotional effects of traumatic events.
The potential emotional effects of traumatic events can range from minor symptoms as an extension of normal sadness to more severe symptoms associated with discrete disorders( affective disorders).
Sadness or simple unhappiness affects us all from time to time. Its reasons are usually known and symptoms disappear with time or with disappearance of the reason. Grief is a more profound sense of dysphoria which follows sever loss or trauma. It might procced to a major depressive syndrome however, when time distance the event , symptoms disappear.
Affective disorders are either minor or major.
Minor disorder in response to trauma is usually a minor Depression disorder which is a chronic disorder of low mode and or anhedonia. In which symptoms are intermittent in at least 2 years. Major depressive disorders are more sever symptoms and signs of Depression. Both require treatment.
Somatic distress include sense of weakness, Shortness of breath, tightness of throat, weight loss, palpitations, etc.
As you can see the effect of trauma can be diagnosed clinically by symptoms and signs the individual complaints. Also we can say that there are some scales that determine Depression severity that can also test for changes over time with treatment (Beck Depression inventory of 17 questions and the Hamilton rating scale of 17-21 questions). There are also non-specific blood tests for serum level of hormones like ACTH, TSH, their metabolites in urine and dexamethasone suppression test. What is very interesting is the effect in the immune system in the form of decreased immune function and natural killer cell activity. Increased rate of heart disease and malignancy and death in the first year after loss are common. Keep in mind that some people might react to stress with hypomania or Bipolar disorders.
I have no statistical data to tell.
Good luck
Anonymous - Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:32 pm

Is it harmful to take 4 tylonol for an anorexic teen?
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:37 pm

tylonol contains diphenhydramine (an antihistamine) and Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is more of a pure Analgesic or pain medicine and is not a non steroidal anti inflamatory (NSAID). The good thing about it is it can be mixed with NSAIDs to get extra pain relief. Acetaminophen is safe and effective, but it does have limits. You can take regular-strength tablets (325mg.) every four hours to a maximum of 12 in a 24-hour period, or extra-strength tablets (500 mg.) every six hours, to a maximum of 8 tablets in a 24 hour period. Be careful about exceeding those limits, a serious overdose can cause permanent liver damage which is morelikely to occur with drinking alcho. Acetaminophen recently, has been shown by recent tests, regarding high doses#I. e., 2 to 4 grams of it per day, can actually cause bleeding ulcers and stomach problems at high doses, which is a new finding. It was previously thought that Acetaminophen was perfectly safe on the stomach. Tylonol has mutiple-strength tablets, with the stronger ones having codien-base in them. Tylonol is harder on the stomach vs Acetaminophen. I really have no good idea about its use in anorexia however its rule as Analgesic is well established.[/size
Thanks for using our website. www. doctorslounge. com
Anonymous - Thu May 29, 2003 8:59 pm

one night I took 6 Tylenol over the course of about 2 or 3 hours. then the next night I took 7 Tylenol. but nothing happened. I didnt even get hyper. I was just normal..so is there something wrong? am I gunna get sick or soemthing?
[/quote]

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.